Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blank screen after logging in

I was having problems earlier today, everything froze up, so I shut it down, logged in, then tried to open Safari and once again it froze, so I restarted again, but now what is happening is I can log in just fine, but when I get to my screen all i'm getting is a background image, the tool bar and the top, and the apps at the bottom and nothing else, and it will not let me do anything, I have used every trick I can think of, but nothing has worked.

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on May 31, 2015 9:19 PM

3 replies

May 31, 2015 11:06 PM in response to nikonphoto80

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Jun 2, 2015 1:03 AM in response to Linc Davis

thank you for getting back to me, I tried what you said and it didn't work. I'm starting to think it has something to do with Safari, if I leave the computer up over a couple of hours the page will finally open, then I try to use safari and it will freeze up on me. This last time it let me use safari for an hour then froze up, and has been frozen ever since. What do you think that could be? And what is the next step I should take?

Jun 2, 2015 5:57 AM in response to nikonphoto80

I'm assuming that the same thing happened in safe mode with all peripherals disconnected.

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data, then reinstall the OS.* You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need the backup unless something goes wrong. If the system was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you may need the Apple ID and password you used.

There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it. The same goes for Xcode. All other data will be preserved.

*The linked support article refers to OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite"), but the procedure is the same for OS X 10.7 ("Lion") and later.

Blank screen after logging in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.