Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud has been stuck uploading photos. How can I get it to resume?

I switched to iCloud Photo Library, and it started uploading right away from my iPad Mini (iOS 8.3), but now it has been stuck on "uploading 1,790 items" for almost 3 hours. I have 200 GB of storage, so there's plenty of room. I don't know how to fix this. I've been Googling all night to try to find an answer, but haven't found an answer. How do I get the upload to resume?

iPad Mini, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 31, 2015 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2017 9:33 AM

Don't log out - it will just start everything all over again. Follow the instructions in the Apple Recommended post at the top to pause your upload. Then start it again to see if that will kick things back off again.

Cheers,

GB

13 replies

May 31, 2015 8:14 PM in response to mcones

You should be able to pause the upload by going to Settings>iCloud>Photos according to the iCloud Photo Library FAQs:

When do photos and videos upload to iCloud Photo Library?

When you turn on iCloud Photo Library on your iOS device or Mac, your photos and videos will upload after you connect to the Internet with Wi-Fi and your battery is charged. You can see the status and pause the upload for one day when you follow these steps:

• On your iOS device, tap Settings > iCloud > Photos.
  • On your Mac, click Photos > Preferences > iCloud.

Depending on your Internet connection speed, the time it takes for your photos and videos to appear on the Photos app on iCloud and all of your devices might vary. Make sure you turn on iCloud Photo Library on each device.

Here is a link to the support article FYI:

iCloud Photo Library FAQ - Apple Support

Cheers,

GB

Jun 1, 2015 6:06 PM in response to gail from maine

Gail, you were absolutely right! No wonder you are a "level 6"! It took all of last night and all of today, but my photos are all uploaded and I found them all online at the iCloud Photo Library! I just wish that iCloud/Apple would be honest in their instructions and start by managing expectations. If they would just say "Step 1: Pack some patience because this will eventually work; it just takes time." Instead, they talk about how easy it is, and how you'll love it, blah, blah, blah. I think all these posts would be unnecessary if they would simply tell us up front what to expect.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I am happy now. (I am in Houston, Texas where we've had some 500-year flooding, and I wanted to save all my photos in case the house flooded or the roof gave out.)

Aug 9, 2015 12:09 PM in response to gail from maine

Hi Gail,

You seem to know your stuff, I am trying to move my pictures from iCloud to an external hard drive. How? It really shouldn't be this complicated. Do you think you could explain to me how to do this? I am trying to turn off iCloud storage and just use streaming (like it used to be) I don't want to lose all of my photos so I want to move them to a backup drive.

Aug 31, 2015 9:52 PM in response to mcones

Finally, after looking for a solution since IOS 8 and iCloud Photo was first released, I got something that actually worked. Simple as that: plug your phone to an energy source, leave it unlocked for as long as it takes for the upload to finish and leave the Photos open - no, you can't navigate elsewhere in the meanwhile. It is definitely annoying that someone at Apple has not took a while to have this fixed. My 4.000 pictures and nearly 200 videos showed at iCloud after 4 hours of hard, hard work and A LOT of patience. The idea itself is great, but expectations should be aligned indeed. Well, at least I've got everything upload a few hours before I hand my phone to camera replacement (yeah, I am part of the lucky ones listed on that iPhone 6 Plus recall).

icloud has been stuck uploading photos. How can I get it to resume?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.