Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extending a Non Apple WiFi network with TC

Apologies in advance if this has been asked before. But not able to get a clear picture from the earlier Posts.

I stay in a 2 storey house. The ISP has laid fibre that comes into the first floor and is currently broadcasting a wifi network with a router provided by them. Am looking to extend the WiFi network to the second floor, using an existing TC that I have. Have been struggling to get it to extend it and am not sure if its because the Apple TC isn't compatible with non Apple equipment for extending WiFi networks. I don't seem to have any problems joining the existing network though. Have tried doing a soft & hard reset with no luck.

Thanks

Time Capsule 802.11n (4th Gen)

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 12:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 12:50 AM

You cannot extend non-apple wireless routers.. apple routers are a law unto themselves.. no body else is invited to the party.

You have two choices.. run ethernet and then use the TC as a wireless access point.. (EOP adapters can be used as the ethernet but it may not work).

Or you need to buy another apple wireless router.. eg a Gen4 or Gen5 airport Extreme is a good choice.. plug it in by ethernet to the router on the first floor and then extend it using the TC on the second floor.

Of course you can also buy a non-apple wireless repeater.. !!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2015 12:50 AM in response to Sureshreddys

You cannot extend non-apple wireless routers.. apple routers are a law unto themselves.. no body else is invited to the party.

You have two choices.. run ethernet and then use the TC as a wireless access point.. (EOP adapters can be used as the ethernet but it may not work).

Or you need to buy another apple wireless router.. eg a Gen4 or Gen5 airport Extreme is a good choice.. plug it in by ethernet to the router on the first floor and then extend it using the TC on the second floor.

Of course you can also buy a non-apple wireless repeater.. !!

Extending a Non Apple WiFi network with TC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.