Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Database corrupt with no visible music but disc space still occupied

I have an ipod Classic that has been used well for many many years,

I recently connected it to my windows computer and placed a new song in a playlist via itunes. I then disconnected the drive (safely of course) and it did its little restart thing that it does, however, now the ipod tells me there is no music or anything on the ipod at all. When i connect it back to itunes, it tells me that it cannot read the ipod and i have to format. If i look at the ipod drive, it doesnt appear to be empty, it appears to still have the same space occupied on the disc as the music and videos that previously occupied the disc. I presume the ipod database is now corrupt and thats why it cannot be read. Is there anyway to pull off the songs/video/playlists from the ipod? Then i'll try a format and restore to see if its useable again but i'd really like to try to get the songs and playlists off the ipod if possible.

I have run the diagnostic tool on the ipod (Select + previous track) and got these results from the SMART HD data

Retracts: 5

Reallocs: 584

Pending sectors: 56

PowerOn Hours: 174

Start/Stops: 26102

Temp Current: 23

Temp Min 5

Temp Max 55

Any help is greatly appreciated

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009)

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 1:29 AM

1 reply

Jun 1, 2015 8:21 AM in response to Dr_P185

See Corrupt iPod classic. The media might be recoverable, but I suspect the playlists are gone for good. Have a look inside \iPod_Control\iTunes\ on the device (the folders are hidden). It is just possible that there is a backup copy of your iTunesDB file in there which, if renamed to replace the new, active, empty one, would hold the playlists which could then be recovered. Otherwise it should be easy enough to copy off the media from the \iPod_Control\Music\F## folders.

tt2

Database corrupt with no visible music but disc space still occupied

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.