Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerMac 2.5 quad over heating

Having a problem with my PowerMac 2.5 Quad overheating. Within 5 min of operation a red light turns on and then a few min later it goes into sleep mode.

I'm not doing anything unusual, whether I am on the internet(Safari) or using any internal apple app or other app installed. ??

Final Cut Pro 6, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 5:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 10:11 AM

Hi, it's likely time to replace the thermal paste on the CPUs, have you blown the dust out lately?

Liquid cooled G5s may require a rebuild of the LCS also.

Short term you might get it to run longer in System Preferences>Energy Saver>Options tab& checking Processor Performance>Reduced near the bottom.

7 replies

Jun 2, 2015 9:02 AM in response to BDAqua

So I blew out the dust, not that there was very much. I noticed a couple of small dust bunnies were dislodged from the cooling system, where they went ?? and this may have been the fix. During the process the red tube from the can of air flew into the cavity and got stuck between some screws. I finally got it out but not before tuning the com completely upside down a few times. I also depressed the reset button on the logic board.

The com has been running youtube videos now for close to 2 hours without a red warning light or going into sleep mode. Hopefully it is fixed.

Thanks for your help.

PowerMac 2.5 quad over heating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.