Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAM upgrade for iMac 5k

Hello, I am in the process of ordering a new iMac 5k 27". i am going to get the upgraded processor 4.0Ghz and graphics Radeon 295x (4gb). I am thinking of upgrading the RAM at a later date and would like to know what the standard RAM modules are. Should I buy with 8Gb and replace later with 4x8Gb modules? or Should I buy with 16gb (2x8) and purchase another 2 modules (2x8) later? Do the RAM modules have to be the same brand etc? Can I buy the same modules in Australia? Thanks for any help

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 12:43 AM

6 replies

Jun 1, 2015 2:54 AM in response to seventy one

Thanks for your reply seventy one.

I have seen both the OWC and Crucial RAM available in Oz, and I would never use cheap electronic or tech components, especially with equipment as expensive as a 5k iMac.

I will probably buy the OWC 32 Gb RAM, as it is about $250 cheaper than buying from the Apple store.

My question perhaps should've been more specific. as I can't order the computer without RAM I need to decide whether to buy it with;

8gb 'Apple' RAM, then discard it and replace with 32gb OWC RAM

or

16Gb 'Apple' RAM and add 16 Gb OWC RAM, which would be marginally cheaper, but mixing brands of memory.

Furthermore, is there any warranty issue with after market RAM such as OWC or Crucial?

Thanks again.

Jun 1, 2015 6:57 AM in response to Emmanuel.F1

OWC and Crucial are well known to stand by their products. You can purchase from them with confidence.

Whether you start with 8 GB or 16 GB might depend on what applications you plan to use and how long it might be before you purchase additional RAM.

I purchased my iMac 5K with 8 GB RAM. I then purchased 2 X 8 GB modules from OWC. I placed the new modules in the empty slots so now have 2 X 4 GB plus 2 X GB for a total of 24 GB. My iMac has shown no problems with the RAM from the two separate vendors and runs well. If I eventually feel the need to update to 32 GB I will replace the 2 X 4GB modules with 2 X 8GB modules.

Jun 1, 2015 7:39 AM in response to Emmanuel.F1

It doesn't really matter which route you take. You may save a little by buying 16Gb to start and adding the next 16Gb from OWC. As the original 8Gb will be 2 x 4gb. one of them will have to be sacrificed if you then have to buy 3 x 8 Gb from OWC to achive the Maximum. Apple is certainly more expensive and OWC occasionally have offers too.

There should be no problem with mixing and OWC have a lifetime Warranty, I believe; and they used to buy back your old Memory. I don't know if this is still the case.

RAM upgrade for iMac 5k

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.