Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External SSD for Mac Pro (2014)

Hello there,

In need for some advice here please.

I'm thinking of getting the Samsung 850 Pro SSD (1TB) to connect as an External drive for the Mac Pro (black cylinder model). This is because the current 256gb internal storage is almost full. I will most likely be reinstalling all the programs in the Windows OS (currently on the internal storage) onto this Samsung External SSD.

1) Will installing the Autodesk softwares on this Samsung 850 Pro external storage be losing out in terms of Performance as compared to installing them within the current internal storage drive?

2) What is the best way to connect this Samsung 850 Pro SSD on the Mac Pro to act as an external drive? I suppose I still need to purchase an adapter? Thunderbolt adapter? Is the Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt Adapter the best choice in terms of Performance and Compatibility?

Performance and stability is the top most priority.

3) Any other suggestions please feel free to comment as well!

This Mac Pro runs on 256gb Internal SSD with Mac OS (1/4 Partition) and Bootcamp Windows 8 (3/4 Partition)

Mac Pro (Late 2013), iOS 8.3, Running on Mac OS & Windows 8

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 3:20 AM

6 replies

Jun 1, 2015 10:04 AM in response to The hatter

@thehatter, thanks so much for the note.

May I know for the 1TB PCIe-SSD, do you mean connecting it as an internal or external storage drive?

Will 1TB PCIe-SSD be better in terms of performance than the 1TB SATA SSD (e.g. Samsung 850Pro)?

The 256GB will be taken out to be used as an External drive?

I initially wanted to re-install the current Windows 8 onto a External Drive so that there's more space, but I read up online and it seems quite a tedious task to do especially because Windows cant be installed and booted on an External drive?

Jun 1, 2015 11:47 PM in response to The hatter

"Install Windows. Clone to TB drive. Use BCA to remove the Windows partition. Windows can be run from but not installed to Thunderbolt."

May I clarify:

you mean installing Windows on a newly bought 1TB external SSD?

For SATA III SSD, what is the best method to connect externally to the Mac Pro? Seagate Thunderbolt adapter?

For PCI-e SSD, what is the recommended method to connect externally to the Mac Pro?

Jun 3, 2015 2:22 AM in response to The hatter

Hello there,

Thanks so much for all the comments and links given. After much research online, I guess the best is to get hold of an Apple-Samsung SSD just like what is currently in the Mac Pro?

I saw the following links which claims to be offering genuine Apple SSD 1TB:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Memory-Macbook-Retina-MZ-KPU1T0T/dp/B00O4CUI02/ref=s r_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1433321660&sr=8-3&keywords=apple+ssd+for+mac+pro

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151701291455?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STR K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151605593746?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STR K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

May I seek everyone's valued opinions on these? Are they suitable or reliable to purchase as compared to the OWC Aura SSD 1TB? because the OWC performance seems to be poorer than original Apple SSDs?

Thank you!

External SSD for Mac Pro (2014)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.