Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Supervise devices without updating the OS in Apple Configurator

We have a situation where we need to supervise our devices in Apple Configurator in order to turn on some settings we want to use with our MDM solution. We do not want to update the OS on each device as we are a developer and we need to test developed apps on lots of different devices with varying OS's. I have already tried using the option for 'Custom OS', downloaded ipsw files and am getting 'cannot personalise' errors when attempting to restore from these files. Have tried with 5 different files.

Is there any other way the devices could be supervised without the OS being updated?

Apple Configurator-OTHER

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 4:03 AM

2 replies

Jun 1, 2015 7:54 AM in response to pamfromit

Hi pamfromit,

The Custom iOS setting in AC only works when the .ipsw file is still being signed by Apple. Unfortunately when the .ipsw file is no longer being signed by Apple, there is no way to supervise a device using Apple Configurator without updating it to the latest iOS. Supervising using AC will wipe the device and install the latest iOS.

I know its not the answer you wanted to hear, but I hope it answers your question.
~Joe

Supervise devices without updating the OS in Apple Configurator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.