Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change AppleID for updating default applications?

Hi,

I'm using a Macbook that has belonged to someone else earlier. They erased all personal information and files but App Store keeps suggesting the other person's AppleID for any updates. How can I update or replace e.g. Pages app with my AppleID?

Thanks!

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 4:42 AM

13 replies

Jun 1, 2015 9:02 AM in response to arya2

Preparing a 2nd Hand Mac for use -

You need to erase the HDD, reinstall the version of OS X that shipped from the factory on the Mac and then set it up as new with your own Apple ID.

User Linc Davis explains how a new owner can prepare a 2nd hand Mac for their own use.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6087156?answerId=25468326022#25468326022

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite 10.10.3; Apple Watch, 38 mm silver AL, Watch OS 1.0.1; iPad Air 2 & iPhone 6+, iOS 8.3

Jun 1, 2015 11:27 AM in response to arya2

Delete the apps that the other user installed from the App store.

You can't update apps that belong to someone else so they need to be removed. It would be better to reinstall a clean OS, however it isn't required - make sure you have a copy of the OS in your App Store account to make reinstalling the OS easier in future - Apple can remove older OS's from the store, so get it now.

Jun 1, 2015 2:17 PM in response to Dah•veed

The OP doesn't state if an upgraded OS is installed or the original shipping version was installed by the last owner.

The apps are the reason an apple ID gets 'locked' in the App store, remove them & then OS updates can be installed under another ID. I have tested this (as required by this site's terms).

It is better to clear out the old OS by clean installing (just for basic hygiene), but OS X is not tied to the Apple ID in my experience, test it if you don't believe me.

Jun 2, 2015 5:52 AM in response to Dah•veed

arya2 wrote:

Thanks How do I delete the apps?

You have to find every app that is not bundled with OS X & delete it. That means Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iMovie… Many Apple apps are not shipped with the standard OS X installation unless you have a build for a specific model that included them (yes it is that confusing). You also need to remove every third party app that came from the App store.

Frankly it is far easier to erase & reinstall if you do not know what you are looking for. Obviously a full backup is essential before you begin.

Dah•veed wrote:

OS X is not tied to the Apple ID

Then one must wonder why the installer app has the Mac App Store receipt with one's Apple ID encoded in it?

Believe what you like, but until you test you are just making assumptions.

It is very simple to test…

Install OS X under Apple ID A (install an older version to cause updates to be needed).

Try updating OS X when signed into the store as Apple ID B.

I did that & found it worked.

Now install Apps from Apple ID A & try updating them from Apple ID B - you can't, apps 'lock' the Apple ID into the store.

Note: Spotlight indexes other attached disks so be sure that no apps are on any connected disks otherwise that Apple ID will be 'locked' in the store.

You can have multiple Apple ID's & can install OS X on any Mac you 'own or control', so read the terms if you think this this is 'illegal'. It may be unlawful to keep the OS from another user - it is not transferable if it didn't ship with the original Mac as you already know.

Post your findings if you test it.

Jun 2, 2015 10:41 AM in response to Dah•veed

Dah•veed wrote:

Ignorant Child, I'm a Level 7 Apple Support Communities user, with years of experience and 6 times the points as you, thanking me for my accurate assistance. In the upper right of this thread click Using the Mac App Store. Then scroll down and check the lower left corner.

You should know better than posting obnoxious comments & then editing them.

Prove me wrong by testing yourself.

How to change AppleID for updating default applications?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.