Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 5c clock broken

iphone 5c clock show random time how to fix?

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 6:03 AM

7 replies

Jun 1, 2015 4:06 PM in response to goodjq

This could be one of two things.

It's either a network issue with your carrier, or it's a software issue on your phone.

You may want to try to do a true restore of the device using iTunes. Create a backup of your content, but don't restore your information to the phone just yet. Set the device up as a new iPhone after your restore in iTunes and then use it for a few hours maybe a day or so and see if the issue returns. If it does not return, go ahead and load your content back onto the device using the backup you created in iTunes.

If the issue does return during the time that nothing is on your phone, then it's most likely a network issue. Contact your carrier to find out if they can open a trouble ticket with their Network Repair Bureau.

If the issue returns after you have loaded your content back onto your device, but did not occur when your content was not on your device, the issue could be with a third party application causing the device to revert back to a specific time/date or time zone.

Jun 1, 2015 6:14 PM in response to goodjq

I would contact your carrier to find out more, I can hardly see an issue with hardware being able to adjust time settings in a device seeing that the kernel within the software is what tells the hardware what to do, not the other way around.

As far as time being set to automatic or manual, regardless of what setting it's set to, if the carrier pushes new carrier settings to the device which is where sometimes you'll get a pop up that says ... "New Carrier Settings Available" this can adjust the time settings on the device regardless if it's set to manual or automatic.

A problem with hardware in the device wouldn't cause the time to randomly change because the time is embedded into the software of the device, not the hardware.

I mean, we're not talking about a wrist watch here, it's not like it has gears and cogs inside to make the clock tick.

If a full restore isn't working on the device, it is a possibly that it could be an issue with your carrier. If it's not an issue with your carrier, it could be just an issue with the software. It seems that something isn't communicating right within the libraries of the Core Services and is causing the time to revert back to some "default" setting.

Also too, it's important to know doing just a standard backup and restore from iTunes doesn't always fix the issue. If you do a full restore of the device and then after you clear everything from it and then restore your content right back to it you're essentially making a carbon copy of everything on the phone, including the error that's causing the problem and then putting it right back where it was to begin with. Thus creating a vicious cycle of annoyance and confusion.

I would recommend creating your back up in iTunes, restoring the phone back to factory settings. I find it best to do this via the DFU mode, simply because doing a restore through DFU completely erases everything from the phone and essentially resets everything back to the way it was before anything was ever loaded on to it. It downloads a fresh copy of the latest iOS version from Apple and reinstalls as if it's fresh off the factory floor.

Once you do the restore, don't immediately put your stuff back on it, set the device up as a new iPhone and try to use it for about a day without downloading any applications and see if the issue returns. If it doesn't come back at all, and it seems to work fine then that tells us the problem is somewhere in what you've installed on the phone, or maybe in whatever version/copy of the software you had which would explain why the issue returned after your previous restore - third party applications are notorious for changing settings like this without you even realizing they're being changed.

If the issue does return before you've had a chance to put your content back on the device then it's possible it could be something to do with a network issue, and maybe even a hardware/software issue ... however, I wouldn't immediately jump to the conclusion that only the device hardware is causing the problem simply because the hardware is controlled by the software so theres some type of communication breakdown between the two elements.

iphone 5c clock broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.