Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating apps bought under a previous Apple id

I have recently had to change my Apple id. When I am trying to update apps bought under the old id it is asking me for the password for that old id. I do not know the old password. When I try & reset the password for the old id it takes me to the Apple id page but has my new id showing, not the old one I need the password for..

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 8:06 AM

1 reply

Jun 1, 2015 9:02 AM in response to Philmill@33

You should have changed the Apple ID using these steps. Instead it sounds like you created a new Apple ID.

Changing the email address you use for your Apple ID -

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5621

If you now have two Apple IDs, you will need to recover the old one to update the content bought with the old Apple ID. Apple will not merge two Apple IDs and Apple will not transfer the content from one Apple ID to another Apple ID. Otherwise, you would need to delete the old content and purchase it again with the new Apple ID in order to update to the most recent version.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite 10.10.3; Apple Watch, 38 mm silver AL, Watch OS 1.0.1; iPad Air 2 & iPhone 6+, iOS 8.3

Updating apps bought under a previous Apple id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.