Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook 12" and USB Target Disk Mode - Cable that works?

I cannot seem to get my 2015 MacBook to support Target disk mode over USB. I have an Aukey USB-C to USB-A charge and sync cable from amazon. I get the MacBook in TDM but connecting the cable only seems to carry power - no data.

The MacBook shows the USB Icon on the screen indicating it has successfully entered TDM. It indicates it is charging. But when connecting to a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air, neither will mount the MacBook HD.

What cable works for USB-A to USB-C TDM support on MacBook 2015? Thanks.

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 8:53 AM

9 replies

Jun 1, 2015 11:00 AM in response to nowak66

You should be putting the MacBook Air or the MacBook Pro into Target Disc mode, not the MacBook. If you're trying to migrate to your new MacBook.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204360

I'm not familiar with Aukey dongle, but I know that the 2nd USB-C port on the Apple dongle is for power only.

I can only guess at your intentions. It is not clear what you're trying to accomplish.

Jun 1, 2015 11:13 AM in response to Lanny

Thanks Lanny.

If I can help it, it try not to migrate an old Mac to a new one just to try to keep the cruft down.

My purpose is copying a few few hundred GB of photos over to the MacBook.

I have an external disk connected to my MacBook Pro with a large number of photo libraries on it. I am trying to mount the MacBook as a separate disk to the MacBook Pro so I can copy the photo files from the external disk connected to the MacBook Pro over to the new MacBook.

The external disk is a ThunderBolt RAID device.

So my goal is to the mount the MacBook as an external USB 3 HD to the MacBook Pro to facilitate a copy session of these data files.

Jun 1, 2015 11:40 AM in response to Lanny

Lanny - the Aukey cable is just a straight USB cable with a USB-C male on one end and a USB-A male on the other end. I don't use any of the Apple adapters with it.

I guess I am looking for a straight cable to support Target Disk Mode (TDM). USB-A to USB-C.

I have heard that USB-A to USB-A attached to the Apple USB-A to USB-C adapter may not work but that might be worth a try.

The OWC ThunderBay 4 where the photos reside is thunderbolt only.

If all else fails, I can move the files to a USB3 external disk and connect that the MacBook or let the file transfer run over night over wifi. But I would like to get target disk mode going if I can.

Jun 2, 2015 8:26 AM in response to nowak66

I bought a similar cable also from Amazon, from NewLobo. It is USB-C to USB-A, and it does work in USB target mode. I plugged it into my iMac first, I believe, the restarted MacBook in Target mode. The cable was connected directly -- no adapters. The correct USB symbol shows on MacBook and iMac sees MacBook as a hard disk. I was able to transfer files very quickly. I did not try using migration assistant to migrate files; I set up the MacBook from scratch and wanted to copy some files and it worked perfectly.

Hope this helps; at least it lets you know target mode works.

Jun 2, 2015 9:34 AM in response to James Block

Thank you James. I have since ordered the New Lobo cable and I am glad to hear that it works! I believe there are reviews on Amazon to that effect as well so this sounds like the right cable for the job.

I did hear back from Aukey and they indicated that although their cable does support data transfer, it does not support Target Disk Mode. I find that odd so I am trying to get them to take the cable back.

MacBook 12" and USB Target Disk Mode - Cable that works?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.