Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Retina 13", QuickTime Problem

My MacBook Pro Retina 13" plays a movie in QuickTime every time it starts or opens, but only the sound, and can't be turned off. Suggestions? I have tried turning the video itself on, but it plays it separately and then I get both sounds and one video. Not really sure what to do.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 11:42 AM

My MacBook Pro Retina 13" plays a movie in QuickTime every time it starts or opens, but only the sound, and can't be turned off. Suggestions? I have tried turning the video itself on, but it plays it separately and then I get both sounds and one video. Not really sure what to do.

It sounds as if you may have multiple issues.

1) If one or more files automatically load/play each time you start the QT X player app, then either change the System Preferences setting that controls this or hold down the "Option" key when to close the QT X Player to close both the app and any currently opened media files. By default, your Mountain Lion system is normally to "remember" and "reopen" any document files that were oped when the main app was last closed.

2) If an app fails to respond, (e.g., closed when told to do so), then open the Force Quit..." and/or Activity Monitor utility to see if any app, process, structure, or other operation is "locking up" your operating system.

3) If you mean a player window opens up and plays audio but the video display remains "black," then check the "Inspector" window to ensure the video codec is supported, that the video data rate requirements are compatible with system, and that no other actions or processes are slowing down your system,

4) If you mean the file opens and plays sound but no video display area exists, then check the Inspector window to ensure that the file contains an enabled video track.

5) Not sure what you mean by "turn the video on" here. If you mean you are playing paired elementary audio and video streams contained in separate files (e.g., M2V video with AIFF audio), then be advised that unlike the older QT 7 player, QT X does not automatically open the secondary (resourced) file. Both files must be opened independently and playback of both must be initiated simultaneously. Even then there may be some synchronization "drift" in the playback of the AV content. For proper normal playback, install and use the QT 7 player which continues to support such files.

User uploaded file

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2015 11:42 AM in response to SamCartS

It sounds as if you may have multiple issues.

1) If one or more files automatically load/play each time you start the QT X player app, then either change the System Preferences setting that controls this or hold down the "Option" key when to close the QT X Player to close both the app and any currently opened media files. By default, your Mountain Lion system is normally to "remember" and "reopen" any document files that were oped when the main app was last closed.

2) If an app fails to respond, (e.g., closed when told to do so), then open the Force Quit..." and/or Activity Monitor utility to see if any app, process, structure, or other operation is "locking up" your operating system.

3) If you mean a player window opens up and plays audio but the video display remains "black," then check the "Inspector" window to ensure the video codec is supported, that the video data rate requirements are compatible with system, and that no other actions or processes are slowing down your system,

4) If you mean the file opens and plays sound but no video display area exists, then check the Inspector window to ensure that the file contains an enabled video track.

5) Not sure what you mean by "turn the video on" here. If you mean you are playing paired elementary audio and video streams contained in separate files (e.g., M2V video with AIFF audio), then be advised that unlike the older QT 7 player, QT X does not automatically open the secondary (resourced) file. Both files must be opened independently and playback of both must be initiated simultaneously. Even then there may be some synchronization "drift" in the playback of the AV content. For proper normal playback, install and use the QT 7 player which continues to support such files.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro Retina 13", QuickTime Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.