Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard Not Responding Properly

I have an older 2007 MacBookPro that is exhibiting a keyboard issue. When I click on a hot link, the link will not open unless I click on it several times. When I click on a icon (for example), at times the cursor will "lock" on it, thus moving the icon when the cursor is moved. This problem does not happen every time. All other keys on the keyboard work fine.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thank you kindly.

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 8:16 AM

5 replies

Jun 3, 2015 8:35 AM in response to kitjv

Hello kitjv,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that the built in trackpad on your MacBook Pro is not functioning the way you would expect. In this situation, I would recommend reading over and working through the suggested steps and information located in the attached article to begin troubleshooting.

Trackpad or Magic Trackpad is jumpy or erratic - Apple Support

Have a great day,

Joe

Jun 3, 2015 11:27 AM in response to AppleJoe

Joe,

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, the problem persists. The cursor does not behave erratically per se. The problem is twofold: (1) I have to click on a link or icon several times in order for it to open. (2) When clicking on a link or icon, often the cursor "locks" onto the link. In other words, the link is dragged wherever I move the cursor (similar to if I were dragging & dropping it). It takes several clicks to release the link. So the problem is isolated to clicking the trackpad.

Hopefully someone can offer an explanation. Thank you.

Jun 3, 2015 3:55 PM in response to AppleJoe

Joe: I suspect that the trackpad is the issue. Considering the age of the machine, this just might be the excuse I need to replace it entirely. :-)

However, in the interim, I might consider purchasing a wireless trackpad, thereby bypassing the faulty on-board trackpad altogether. That would seem to be a less expensive alternative to having the machine serviced.

Kit

Keyboard Not Responding Properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.