Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to change notification sound for Twitter but it won't?...

hey guys ,

so I've been trying to change my Twitter notification sound which should be labeled under "Tweet" in the Sound settings... Right? Right...

so I set it to the tweet sound but ito actually tri-tone , how do I change it ? D:

thank you for reading :3

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 8:18 AM

17 replies

Aug 1, 2017 4:53 AM in response to Mike P CZ

Hi,this does not work even when sending straight from photos,sound does not change period,also I've had long discussions about this with apple care and apple stor,&gotten 20 different answers on how this features supposed to work,so it's become clear apple doesn't even know how the phones supposed to work,disappointed in apple greatly right now

Jun 3, 2015 8:41 AM in response to Yowlumne

Greetings Yowlumne,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you would like the tweet sound notification for Twitter notifications on your iPhone, but the sound is not changing even though you have made the adjustment. To begin troubleshooting, I would suggest restarting your iPhone and testing again as described in the attached article. If the issue continues, please let me know if other sounds work for your Twitter notifications or if none of the sound options change the tri-tone twitter notification.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Cheers,

Joe

Jun 6, 2015 2:55 PM in response to Yowlumne

Hello Yowlumne,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

The next step I would recommend would be to reinstall the operating system on your iPhone. Before going through this process, I would advise making sure you have a current backup in either iCloud or iTunes.

To complete this process, you will place your iPhone in recovery mode manually and perform an update. This will reinstall the most current version of the iPhone Operating System without erasing your data.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond or doesn't turn on - Apple Support

1. Connect your device to a computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, you can borrow one, or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  2. While your device is connected, force it to restart. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding until you see the Recovery mode screen.
    User uploaded file
  3. When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data.
    User uploaded file

iTunes will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3 again.

Have a great day,

Joe

Aug 10, 2015 1:57 AM in response to Yowlumne

You're talking about two separate things, guys:

Settings > Sounds > Tweet - this changes a sound confirming a submitted tweet, e.g. from Photos via sharing menu. It's not supposed to change the notification sound for Twitter.

Settings > Notifications > Twitter > Sounds - this is the item for changing notification sounds. As you can see, it only offers an on/off switch and not any selection of sounds. That's why you always hear the Tri-Tone as the alert sound. Till nowadays, iOS is incapable of changing notification sounds for any 3rd party apps, which seems rather ridiculous nowadays. Wish they would address this archaic limitation soon.

Aug 10, 2015 2:32 AM in response to Mike P CZ

No Mike,

Your answer is incorrect.

You should receive a tweet sound when being mentioned in tweets or getting retweeted etc... The standard "Tweet" whistle sound should play. It does on some phones and doesn't on others. This is a known bug but there seems to be some discussion as to whether the problem is in the App (Twitter) or in the iOS...

All I know is that since my iPhone 4, I have NEVER been able to make the changes to the tweet sound. It always plays a tri-tone no matter what sound I choose for it.

Yet, on my friends iPhone 5, he gets the correct tweet sound.

I have just received a brand new iphone 6 Plus which was set up as a new iPhone out of the box... and still I get the wrong twitter notification sounds.

Aug 10, 2015 7:46 AM in response to Joel Mills

I'm sorry, but my answer certainly isn't incorrect. The Tweet item is even located between Sent Mail and Facebook Post, which serve exactly the same purpose for their respective apps - why would it be so? Moreover, it's the very same behaviour as in OS X; no surprises there.

You can ask your friend how he set up the sound - he may have managed to changed it in the app itself, or he uses a different app, or he's got his iPhone jailbroken - there are lots of options. You can also try out for yourself - change the Tweet sound and send a tweet via Share to hear for yourself. There's no help here other than start looking at the correct notification setup. Wish you good luck.

Trying to change notification sound for Twitter but it won't?...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.