Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone won't allow me to play music purchased on iTunes without internet connection

I used my phone to buy an album of kid's music for my son. I downloaded the music by clicking the little cloud with a red down arrow button and was able to play it just fine in my house where I have WiFi.

When I took my phone in the car where I don't have wifi (and I have a low data plan so I disable cell data for iTunes music app) it allows me to click the song but it won't play. It just goes from play back to pause. Never advances in the song.

It's very frustrating as I bought this music to be able to play outside of internet range. I could have streamed it for free if I had wanted to be limited to internet only areas

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 9:35 AM

5 replies

Sep 4, 2016 10:32 AM in response to gtexan

I Believe I am having the same problem. I downloaded to my phone the songs that I want and they will play fine. Then I will try and play the songs sometimes and it will tell me to connect to wifi. The song has the little phone and check mark icon so I know it is on my device. Where it says songs I set it so that only those Songs displayed are the ones on my device but the purchased tracks are still visible even though they are not downloaded to my device. So probably two problems here.

1. When I filter the view to see only songs currently on my device it does not filter.

2. The songs that have been downloaded to my device when I attempt to play I am told I need wifi.

Sep 19, 2016 6:36 PM in response to Csound1

The music was downloaded to the phone sometimes it would recognize that, other times it would not. When I would filter the view to show only music on the phone it would not filter, instead it shows all of the purchased still. Anyways, it is no longer an issue, the filter view for the newest release of iOS is working well.

iPhone won't allow me to play music purchased on iTunes without internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.