Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages app wont open

I purchased a 13 inch Macbook Air back in the November and have never had any issues with my computer until this past weekend. My messages app will open at all. The icon on the home screen just jumps up and down like if it is loading yet nothing happens.

I even updated to Yosemite hoping that would make it work and still nothing happens. Any particular reason why I am coming across this issue?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 11:06 AM

2 replies

Jun 1, 2015 2:08 PM in response to AlexCub

1. If a McAfee "anti-virus" product is installed, remove it by following the instructions on whichever of the pages linked below is applicable:

How to install or uninstall McAfee Internet Security for Mac

How to manually remove VirusScan for Mac 8.6.x using a removal script

How to uninstall and reinstall McAfee Agent 4.x on Macintosh computers

Note that if you have already tried to uninstall the software, you may have to reinstall it in order to finish the job. If you have a different version of the product, the procedure may be different.

Back up all data before making any changes.

2. If you synchronize Contacts with one or more network services such as iCloud or Google, disable all the contact accounts in the iCloud and/or Internet Accounts pane of System Preferences. When prompted to confirm, choose to delete the contacts from the Mac. They'll still be on the servers and on your other devices.

Log out or restart the computer.

If the problem is resolved, re-enable the accounts one at a time, wait for the network contacts to reappear, and test after each step.

Credit for this observation to ASC member tomconrad.

Messages app wont open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.