Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Popularity bar and RSS, something is fishy

I have a podcast show (everyday acupuncture podcast)

I've been publishing weekly episodes since early January of this year.

Prior to Jan 28, there are rankings on the "popularity" graph. But after that date, nothing. And my show is further behind in rankings than similar shows that have fewer downloads and some have not even published for 2+ years.

I emailed Apple and they said to check and make sure the RSS was validated. Which it is. But i checked it again, and other than a minor issue with font size on something it seems to be fine.

The Apple support said to re-connect the RSS. But, it’s already putting shows up, and people can subscribe and download. So, I’m not sure that bit of advice.

I asked the Libsyn tech support and they just pointed the finger at Apple.

So, I’m not sure what to do here. My show is further behind in the rankings than shows that have dormant for years.

Maybe I should disconnect and reconnect the feed? Is that possible?

This RSS stuff sounds a bit finicky. And once you have it set up, it sounds like there are issues with taking it down and putting it back up again, or changing from one feed to another.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 10:10 AM

The way the rankings work is opaque, and I doubt anyone here can give you a helpful answer. As to your feed, I'm happy to check it to make sure it's OK if you feel like posting the URL. I wouldn't be too ready to start changing to another URL; just removing it and putting it back again isn't likely to have any effect unless you happen to have it down when the Store does one of its routing checks. If that happens once, it simply won't update. If it keeps missing the feed your podcast is likely to removed.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2015 10:10 AM in response to Acumax

The way the rankings work is opaque, and I doubt anyone here can give you a helpful answer. As to your feed, I'm happy to check it to make sure it's OK if you feel like posting the URL. I wouldn't be too ready to start changing to another URL; just removing it and putting it back again isn't likely to have any effect unless you happen to have it down when the Store does one of its routing checks. If that happens once, it simply won't update. If it keeps missing the feed your podcast is likely to removed.

Jun 1, 2015 10:41 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Hi Roger,

Thanks for offering to check the feed. Here it is:

http://everydayacupuncturepodcast.libsyn.com/rss

Yes, I've heard that changing a feed is fraught with peril.

My concern is that if my shows are registering as downloading by iTunes, then even if I have a big audience, it will go unnoticed by iTunes. It chaps my hide that some "acupuncture" shows have not had an update in years and fewer shows than I have, and yet the rank higher.

Thanks again for your help and thoughts.

M

Jun 1, 2015 11:03 AM in response to Acumax

The feed appears to be fine. I can't answer why you are having a rankings issue, but I seriously doubt that messing about with the feed is going to have any effect. Changing the feed URL simply moves the Store over to a different feed, and it that's got the same content then there's no difference. Any changes you could make in a new feed you can make in the existing one anyway.

Popularity bar and RSS, something is fishy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.