Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I sync, does my iphone override my Mac, or vice versa?

I am scared of wiping out data, eg, songs etc when I sync my iphone with my Mac. Which syncs with which?

Eg, I have just imported a physical CD into my Mac, when I sync, if the iphone syncs over the Mac, the CD will be wiped out.

Eg, I have taken photos on my iphone, when I sync, will the photos go to the Mac, or will I lose them?

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 11:39 AM

Howdy Barney,

You ask an excellent question about whether syncing your iPhone with your Mac will files be deleted from either of the devices. Let me try to give you the best explanation that I can.

This article gives good basic information about syncing an iOS device such as your iPhone with a computer such as your Mac -

Sync your iPhone, iPad, and iPod with iTunes using USB - Apple Support

You will note that most information goes one way - from the computer to the iPhone. Example - if you have ripped a CD into iTunes on your Mac, it would remain on the computer after syncing and could be put on the iPhone if desired without loss to the computer.

Photos work in a slightly different way, since it is possible to import photos onto your computer from the iPhone as well as put photos in your picture collection on your Mac onto the iPhone. This article shows how to import photos to the computer -

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or Windows PC - Apple Support

This article describes the process for going the other direction -

Sync photos to your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch in iTunes - Apple Support

I hope this has given you useful information about syncing your iPhone.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2015 11:39 AM in response to barneyhairball

Howdy Barney,

You ask an excellent question about whether syncing your iPhone with your Mac will files be deleted from either of the devices. Let me try to give you the best explanation that I can.

This article gives good basic information about syncing an iOS device such as your iPhone with a computer such as your Mac -

Sync your iPhone, iPad, and iPod with iTunes using USB - Apple Support

You will note that most information goes one way - from the computer to the iPhone. Example - if you have ripped a CD into iTunes on your Mac, it would remain on the computer after syncing and could be put on the iPhone if desired without loss to the computer.

Photos work in a slightly different way, since it is possible to import photos onto your computer from the iPhone as well as put photos in your picture collection on your Mac onto the iPhone. This article shows how to import photos to the computer -

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or Windows PC - Apple Support

This article describes the process for going the other direction -

Sync photos to your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch in iTunes - Apple Support

I hope this has given you useful information about syncing your iPhone.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

When I sync, does my iphone override my Mac, or vice versa?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.