Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I crop an image to a specific size (1100x1100) in aperture to be used online as requested?

It isn't clear how to resize an image in Aperture other than print sizes. How can I resize and save an image to a specific size…i.e. 1100x1100? The purpose is for continuity on a website - not for print. I'm stuck.

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 10:26 AM

2 replies

Jun 3, 2015 8:42 PM in response to ASBR

For your work, it is important to distinguish between Aspect Ratio and dimensions. Aspect Ratio is a unit-less number. It is _just_ a ratio (width/height). It can be expressed in number of pixels, but does not ever _imply_ number of pixels. The Aspect Ratio "1100 x 1100" is _exactly_ the same as "640 x 640", and _exactly_ the same as "32 x 32", and _exactly_ the same as "1:1", and _exactly_ the same as "square".

Images in Aperture have an Aspect Ratio, but they do not have _any_ dimensions. (It's hard to grok, but Images in Aperture are _dimensionless_.) Files have dimensions, universally given in pixels. Images are not files. You create files from your Images in Aperture by exported them. When you create a file by exporting, you specify (in the Image Export Preset) the pixel dimensions of the file.

ASBR wrote:

It isn't clear how to resize an image in Aperture other than print sizes. How can I resize and save an image to a specific size…i.e. 1100x1100? The purpose is for continuity on a website - not for print. I'm stuck.

You do not save Images in specific sizes in Aperture (in any efficient workflow). When you need an image-format file to be used by another program (or user), you create it by exporting an Image. You specify the Aspect Ratio in Aperture, and the pixel dimensions in the File Export Preset. You save files created by export outside Aperture.

Aperture is a database of Images that has been engineered for storage and computational efficiency. What you end up saving in your Library is _the potential to create and recreate files_ based on your Originals. You do not save, in your Library, the actual files. In practice, you create them when needed, use them elsewhere (on the web, to make a print, etc.), and discard them. You can always create them again (as long as you keep the Image in Aperture unchanged).

HTH,

—Kirby.

How can I crop an image to a specific size (1100x1100) in aperture to be used online as requested?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.