Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

forced log off

Recently my iMac has started logging me off when I am not using it, except to run iTunes (Radio mostly), I had been accustomed to playing radio while I was being domesticated around the house.

Approximately 30 min. time span goes by, and the machine logs me off, iTunes of course stops playing, that is when I am notified of the event.

I have played with Energy Saver, I have pushed Computer sleep out to an hour+, Display sleep remains at 10 min. I have unchecked "Put hard disks to sleep when possible".

The last update was Memory Clean (FIPLAB Ltd, Ver. 5.4, installed May 25, 2015), I show three Remote Desktop Client Updates (all Version 3.8.4, installed May 20, 2015), Safari (Version 8.0.6, installed May 7, 2015), and Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update (Version 6.04, installed May 5, 2015). I see there is a 5.5 version ready, I'll bring it on today.

It seems the log off issue started roughly a month ago (4 to 5 weeks).

I have an Early 2009 iMac, 4 GB RAM, OS version 10.10.3.

Log offs occur when only running iTunes, so I am thinking I am not over using RAM, but...? HD is a 640 GB using 460, ran diags, no problems. Ran Permissions settings, some of those had to be reconfigured back to originals.

When I am working the machine, doing anything in an application, there is no forced log off.

Possibly some other settings I need to check, other than Energy Saver? Network connection (fiber optic via CenturyLink, 20 GB download)? I do run a router for for in house WY-FY, mostly to work Apple TV.

I'm clueless, hope you are not, thanks much!

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 11:37 AM

2 replies

Jun 1, 2015 1:56 PM in response to Domino44

From the menu bar, select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Security & Privacy

If there's a closed padlock icon in the lower left corner of the preference pane, click it and enter your login password when prompted.

Click the Advanced button and, in the sheet that opens, uncheck the box marked

Log out after … minutes of inactivity

Jun 2, 2015 9:05 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you Linc, I do not remember setting the Log out after..., that's what I get for messing around with settings in a shotgun manner. In my search for settings that I had changed weeks ago, I failed to go that deep into Advanced under Security & Privacy to see my apparent setting for inactivity log off. Letting iTunes Radio run is not considered an active process.

Thanks again for your quick enlightenment.

forced log off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.