Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Charger is Horrible

This is not even a question, but I am not sure where to write this as Apple does not seem to have an area for complaints/concerns. I am writing this knowing that thousands, probably millions of other people have the same issue as I do and I can't take it anymore. The iPhone chargers are HORRIBLE. Typically, they do not last for more than a year (if you're lucky) and then you are forced to pay either $30 for a new one or buy a knock-off for cheaper that lasts MAYBE a month. We pay a lot of money for Apple products to begin with because we love their products, but not being able to produce something as simple as a charger for one of the most popular technological items in the world is ridiculous. Not to mention, the cord is extremely short. The entire charger frustrates me so much and I really hope it is fixed for the next release or as soon as possible!!

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3, null

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 12:01 PM

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

9 replies

Jun 1, 2015 12:05 PM in response to elledini

Are you referring to the part that plugs into the wall? That is nothing more than a USB adapter, as the actual charging circuit is in the iPhone. What is happening that you say the charger doesn't last more than a year? I can still use the one from my original iPhone, purchased in 2007. The cord can be replaced individually. Apple sells a longer cord if the standard cord does not fit your needs.

Jun 1, 2015 12:17 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

No, I am not referring to the part that plugs into the wall. I know that is a USB adapter. The lightening part that connects to the phone becomes extremely loose and disconnected from the connector that goes into the phone over time. I am certainly not alone with this as I have talked to many people with the same issue. You must have an old iPhone if you are using the same charger since 2007. The charger I use is for the iPhone 5 and above. The old ones were not as bad but still not good.

Jun 1, 2015 12:27 PM in response to elledini

I completely agree elledini! My charger has NEVER lasted more than a year without needing a new one. After all the money I spend to enjoy my Apple products, I don't think its fair that the charger can't even hold up as long as most phone contracts!!

To the above comment by ChrisJ4203, you must be using a 4 charger, which I actually did have less issues with. This is mainly in regards to the newer version. I don't believe elledini is referring to the USB adapter, as that is quiet sturdy and she most likely would have written that if so. The problem is the piece that plugs into the phone. With continued use it always breaks. I have had one completely break open so the wires are coming out, and another that LOOKS completely fine, but will not connect to the phone so that it actually charges. And to your comment "The cord can be replaced individually": That's obvious and you must have failed to read the rest of the post. The issue isn't buying a new one, it's that the charger shouldn't have to be replaced before the phone even does. Loyal Apple users shouldn't have to pay an extra $30 for something that should be made to actually withstand normal charging.

Jun 1, 2015 12:28 PM in response to elledini

Then you are referring to the cable, not the charger. No one could have been able to tell that from your first post. In referring to a cable, I still have the lightning cable from my iPhone 5 and am using it on my 5s. As far as the longer cable, I have purchased one of the longer ones to use in my office since the plug is far away.

You are correct, many people have complained about the cables. While many fail, generally it is user damage from mishandling of the cables that is making them fail. However, I'm not here to criticize your use of the cable. I was initially confused with your original post saying the chargers were failing. You clarified that.

Jun 1, 2015 12:34 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Correct, if you want to be technical. It is still considered a charger for the iPhone as it is labeled as such and provided to you when you purchase the phone. I shouldn't have to carry my charger around in a safe for years to be sure it does not break. I take good care of my products and have purchased longer cords and cables in the past. The point of this is that the product itself is not sufficient.

Jun 1, 2015 2:23 PM in response to aeburke12

aeburke12 wrote:

The issue isn't buying a new one, it's that the charger shouldn't have to be replaced before the phone even does. Loyal Apple users shouldn't have to pay an extra $30 for something that should be made to actually withstand normal charging.

If you cable (or your charger) fails within the first year because it's defective (not damaged), Apple will replace it. There is no need to purchase a new one.

iPhone Charger is Horrible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.