Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change Mac Pro 5,1 2010 case

I recently acquired a used Mac Pro (Mid-2010), upgraded to a PCIe SSD hard drive and it runs like a dream. The Mac Pro case had some deep scratches and rub marks. Ugly duckling, but no impacts to system performance at all. I intend to keep using it for a couple of years and sell it after.

Here is my question: is it worth the time, effort, cost to replace the Case as a DIY project? Have you considered doing this? Already done it, where did you source the case? Any feedback would be helpful.

The alternative is suck it up and be happy with I’ve got, and may be spend the money on a better graphics card 🙂

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 1:14 PM

4 replies

Jun 2, 2015 1:28 AM in response to ww3102

An alternative, simpler and probably cheaper job would be to fill in the deep scratches and 're-spray' the exterior. In effect treat it like a car body-shop repair. You would either need to seal all the openings and as the case is almost all holes that would be a big job, or remove all the components before spraying it.

However at least you know everything would fit when you put it back together.

Change Mac Pro 5,1 2010 case

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.