Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble transferring to a new PC - iTunes doesnt 'see' my media

Until recently I was running iTunes on an old XP laptop but the hard drive was near full so I'd transferred the media to an external drive - all was running fine with no issues.

I've now got a newer laptop (running windows 7), have reinstalled iTunes and everything from the cloud has downloaded fine. However, I have copied all the sub folders from \music\iTunes from the old external drive to the same location in the new C drive but iTunes just ignores them. I cant seem to do anything to persuade iTunes to recognise the old music, artwork, podcasts, etc..

I'm sure it's something obvious but its so frustrating as all the files are there but iTunes just wont recognise them. Are there files I should have copied from the old C drive? (Not a disaster - I still have it).

So far I've

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Windows 7

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 1:36 PM

4 replies

Jun 2, 2015 2:16 AM in response to sistersoregon

Thanks for the reply.

I do have the "copy files to itunes media folder when adding to library" check box ticked.

I could use add files to folder, but wouldn't this just add the music to the new library rather than getting iTunes to use the old library? Presumably I'd loose some information this way such as artwork that I'd had to manually add?

Jun 2, 2015 11:53 AM in response to Mike 123

In most cases all that is required is to copy the entire iTunes folder from the user's music folder on the old computer into the user's music folder on the new one. This assumes that the iTunes folder contains the media folder, and the media folder contains all of the media connected to the library. Copying the iTunes Media folder alone is not enough. You should not need to import media into a migrated library, it should open showing all of your content. If your library wasn't in the correct shape to start with there may be problems with broken links, but the content ought to be visible. In rare cases the library could suffer the issue described in Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash.

See Make a split library portable for advice if your library wasn't in the standard layout on your old computer.

tt2

Trouble transferring to a new PC - iTunes doesnt 'see' my media

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.