Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I write to 1.44fd from OS X 10.10.3?

Hello.

I have a Mac SE/30, and I want to get the old gal up and running again.

I found all the files I need to get her running, but with one GIANT road block...

I have a floppy disk USB drive that works with my current Mac running 10.10.3.

OSX 10.10.3 will not WRITE to a Macintosh OS Standard 1.44mg floppy disk. It can only READ the disk.

Has ANYONE figured out how to get around this problem?

Maybe a common format BOTH can read AND write to?

Thank you all in advance.

-Apple //GS

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 1:26 PM

9 replies

Jun 2, 2015 12:46 AM in response to Apple 2GS

First of all, would it be correct to assume that the Macintosh SE/30 does not contain a working operating system? If so, you would have to to create bootable floppies.

One way could possibly be a workaround via Windows.

If you wish to create bootable (sector-copied from disk images) 1.44 MB Mac floppies on a Windows computer (preferably an old PC with a built-in floppy drive, running something like Windows 95 to XP), there are special techniques using a combination of a PC version of Aladdin/StuffIt Expander and a disk image utility such as WinImage.

If you just want to transfer files to an SE/30 (with a working system) on Mac-formatted 1.44 MB floppies, a Windows utility like MacDrive or TransMac could help (but make sure that it is a version that still supports floppy disks). Alternatively, if the SE/30 contains an operating system with either the Apple File Exchange application (on the System 7.0.1 or 7.1 Tidbits system disk) or the PC Exchange control panel (part of System 7.5.x), plain transfers could take place on PC-formatted 1.44 MB disks.

Jun 3, 2015 3:32 PM in response to Apple 2GS

Hello,

This is based upon the assumption that the SE/30 is already running OK with a System 7.1 on the hard disk. If you have the 7.1 system floppies, take a look at one called Tidbits. Inside a folder there, you should find Apple File Exchange. Copy Apple File Exchange to the hard disk. Once there, it would allow the SE/30 to read PC-formatted floppy disks, thus making it possible to transfer files from a computer running Windows to the SE/30.

Downloaded Mac application files are typically encoded MacBinary (.bin) or BinHex (.hqx) for protection. Keep the encoding intact until on the SE/30. On the SE/30, use an appropriate version (4.0.1) of StuffIt Expander to decode the downloaded and transferred file.

Jan

Jun 16, 2015 9:55 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

HI. I just installed MacOS 7.5.3. It has PC Exchange. So now I can read and moved files to the SE/30 from OS X 10.10.3. But STILL not there. all the files, anything is seen now by the SE/30 as a PC TEXT type file. UGGG!!!!!!! What do I have to do to make the file simply transfer AS IS to the SE/30, and not be seen aways as some type of PC text file?

Jun 16, 2015 11:58 AM in response to Apple 2GS

Hi,

What kind of files are you moving now? Are they Macintosh application files downloaded from the Internet? If so, they would be encoded MacBinary (.bin) or BinHex (.hqx) as indicated above. When transferring such files (kept as is) from a PC, one would see generic text-style PC documents on the receiving Mac. I suppose that this is what you get in this case as well. In order to carry out the decoding, one would drag files onto the StuffIt Expander program icon (or open the files from within the utility) on the old Macintosh computer.

Jan

Jun 16, 2015 1:30 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hello Jan. i don't have StuffIt on my SE/30. I'm trying too do just that. It's a .sea file right now. I downloaded the .sea file, and a few .sea.bin files also. My SE/30 is not connected to the internet (yet), so I downloaded the files to my 10.10.3 Mac. I have an USB floppy disk drive that is connected to my new iMac. OSX 10.3.x can read from the old System 7 formatted disk, but it will not al me to write to it. But, shocker, it can read AND write to MSFAT12 floppy disk. That FAT12 disk can be used by both System 7.5.x and OSX 10.10.x. GI figure that Apple would prevent a life long Apple user from using all APPLE formats. Anyway, all files that I place on the FAT12 formatted when transferred off the floppy to the SE/30 HDD it seen by System 7.5.3 as a PC Exchange text file.

Jun 16, 2015 2:16 PM in response to Apple 2GS

An sea file (not protected by a MacBinary or BinHex encoding) may become damaged in transit, removing the self-expanding properties. The file can normally still be decompressed via StuffIt Expander. It is best to keep all files as .bin or .hqx until on an old Mac (the SE/30 here). This is necessary when a PC is involved, but can also be advantageous whenever old Macintosh application files are handled by a Mac OS X computer.

A way of obtaining a working StuffIt Expander 4.0.1 for the SE/30:

If you have access to, or could borrow, an older Windows PC with a built-in floppy drive (running something like Windows 95, 98 or XP), you may want to try the following procedure.

Prepare an empty PC-formatted 1.44 MB diskette via FORMAT A: in DOS or the "full" formatting option under Windows. Download the MACDISK.EXE file from http://rrzs42.uni-regensburg.de/Macintosh/files/macftp.html . Run this MACDISK.EXE (DOS) program on the Windows PC. Follow the instructions on screen. That automatically results in a Mac-formatted (sic!) floppy complete with software. This floppy could be moved to and used with a Macintosh SE/30. The floppy contains a StuffIt Expander installer. Install the StuffIt Expander utility. Once the program is installed, you can drag .bin, .hqx or .sit files onto the StuffIt Expander icon (or open from the File menu once the utility has been launched) in order to decode and decompress on the SE/30.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.