Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I upgraded my os from 10.5 to 10.6, then restored from a time capsule backup, but now I don't have permission to access my data. Help!?!

I took my Macbook Pro in to Apple, and they upgraded my os from 10.5.8 to 10.6.8. I then restored from my time capsule backup, but now I can't access any of my data because I don't have "permission". What did I do wrong?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 2:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 2:33 PM

You did nothing wrong. The Apple employee created a new user account for you. The Time Machine backup is from your original user account. I suggest you try using Migration Assistant (Utilities folder) and migrate your old account to the computer from your Time Machine backup drive. Your old user account will be re-created with all your files. When that is complete simply log out of this new account and log into your old one. Once that is done you can delete the account that was made for you at the Apple Store (do an Immediate delete, not a Secure Delete.) Then modify your Users & Groups settings to use your original account for startup.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2015 2:33 PM in response to Averelle

You did nothing wrong. The Apple employee created a new user account for you. The Time Machine backup is from your original user account. I suggest you try using Migration Assistant (Utilities folder) and migrate your old account to the computer from your Time Machine backup drive. Your old user account will be re-created with all your files. When that is complete simply log out of this new account and log into your old one. Once that is done you can delete the account that was made for you at the Apple Store (do an Immediate delete, not a Secure Delete.) Then modify your Users & Groups settings to use your original account for startup.

Jun 1, 2015 9:28 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you, this solved my problem. I deleted the new account through the system preferences accounts pane, however I didn't get an option for immediate vs secure delete. I only had options of what to do with the home folder, either to delete it or save it as a disk image. I chose to delete it completely. Is this going to pose any problem for me at startup?

I upgraded my os from 10.5 to 10.6, then restored from a time capsule backup, but now I don't have permission to access my data. Help!?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.