Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2011 wont switch on

Hi

I know bit about mac's but not an expert although I do work in IT, there have been no spillages.

I have tried below:-

I plug in macbook with power cable, try switching on and nothing happens

Try just to switch on with battery - nothing happens

When I press battery indicator is only flashing on one

Resetting SMC

Resetting PRAM

Made sure nothing is stopping power getting through i.e. dust on DC port on macbook

Different magsafe adapters

Tried another battery from another mac book and it comes back on!

Put my battery back in and it briefly comes back on until power dies on battery

Tried pushing middle pin on DC port (gently)

Obviously I know logic board is not dead, if I replace DC port on Mac Book will this solve issue? as this might be why its not charging battery and also why its not powering from magsafe adapter. I have tried everything I can think and read about

Thanks for your help

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 2:12 PM

34 replies

Jun 1, 2015 7:22 PM in response to paddypage77

First what size MBP is this?

15" or 17"?

There's a recall on those:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

"I plug in macbook with power cable,"

Any lights on the MacSafe plug? Green or amber (charging).

"Tried another battery from another mac book and it comes back on!"

Does the charge light come on with the other battery?

No lights in either case - possible bad DC in board.

Try another power adapter.

"Resetting SMC"

Did you try a "hard SMC reset"?

Try a hard reset. Disconnect the battery (open the bottom and pull the connector off. Use your fingernails.) and power adapter. Press the power button for 1 minute. Let the computer sit for 5 minutes, Reconnect and try to start up.

No? - Go through the same procedure and try to start without the battery connected.

The addendum to this would be to try a known good battery.

This would be for a "no start" scenario but basically it's the SMC reset w/ a battery you can remove.

Lights with the other battery - bad original battery.

Jun 2, 2015 4:31 AM in response to spudnuty

Hi

Its 13" Mac Book Pro, there is nothing wrong with video.

No lights on Mac Book charger, but after disconnecting battery and leaving unconnected for about 2 hours I then reconnected and it started charging. I left it on over night as I could see it was charging battery, when I tried to switch on this morning nothing came back on.

I've ordered another DC board which should be arriving today and got another charger so I know its not charger. Its just strange it let me charge it last night.

I havent tried hard reset yet but will try when I get home from work.

Thanks

Jun 2, 2015 8:16 AM in response to paddypage77

Having all diagnostic information in the beginning makes it easier to determine your problem.

"When I press battery indicator is only flashing on one"

So not charged.

" I left it on over night as I could see it was charging battery,"

Because the light changed from green to amber? In the morning what did the battery LED bar say? How many LEDs were lit?

"Tried another battery from another mac book and it comes back on!"

Did that battery charge?

"Its just strange it let me charge it last night."

But did it actually charge?

Most likely a bad battery.

Jun 2, 2015 8:39 AM in response to spudnuty

Yes it did charge battery fully and all light indicators are now green, lights went from green to amber.

Just tried hard reset and it came back on, however I have noticed keyboard doesnt seem to be working but lights are on in background (Trackpad works). I plugged USB keyboard and could then use macbook until I shut it down... now it wont restart again.

It seems to let you use it with power connected, then after about minute it stops using power and use's battery and acts like power isnt even connected.

As i'm writing this I can see amber light is on macbook as if its charging but when you press power button it doesnt switch on. Only way of getting it to switch on is if you unplug battery for few mins then replug back in. I've tried unplugging battery too see if it will work just off adapter alone but doesnt work unless battery is plugged in.

Battery has 4 hours of power left on it. I cannot see any signs of liquid damage at all.

Unfortunately I havent got another battery to test with anymore and battery seems to be working. I dont know if there is any point changing DC port? as if it managed to charge battery it shouldnt be that but dont have many more options left to try.

Jun 2, 2015 9:28 AM in response to paddypage77

"Yes it did charge battery fully and all light indicators are now green, lights went from green to amber"

Then back to green again when fully charged?

"I shut it down... now it wont restart again."

"It seems to let you use it with power connected, then after about minute it stops using power and use's battery and acts like power isnt even connected."

Could still be a bad battery.

Get it running again and go under the:

Apple - "About this Mac - More Info - System Report -Power"

and report what it says about the battery.

E.G. here's mine:

User uploaded file

Jun 2, 2015 1:26 PM in response to spudnuty

I have tried few times now and when it finally switches on, I just get apple logo and spinning circle and doesnt load operating system but I did let it do some updates yesterday as I cloned hard drive from my imac.

Another thing I have noticed is power button doesnt seem to work, but when it finally switches on it does itself not by me powering it up.

Is there anything else I can try?

Jun 2, 2015 2:32 PM in response to paddypage77

"I have noticed is power button doesnt seem to work"

When you push on the power button does it seem to click.

This is what you're actually pushing under the metal button:

User uploaded file

It's a tactile membrane dome switch. It can fail but usually it would be like the switch is constantly activated. I.E. the MBP would turn on by itself but then would shut down.

" it finally switches on, I just get apple logo and spinning circle and doesnt load operating system"

What OS are you running? Now that sounds like a bad hard drive or damaged OS.

"but I did let it do some updates yesterday"

Perhaps they failed?

Jun 2, 2015 4:06 PM in response to paddypage77

"When I press power button it does click but doesnt do anything."

So that trace could have gone bad. That picture of the power switch I posted shows a flat black ribbon cable running to the left. That continues to the keyboard membrane itself and it's all one big assembly.

Also the connection to the logic board could be loose/bad.

You've done all the SMC, PRAM resets I see.

"Do you think this Mac book is not repairable?"

No, I've repaired much worse besides it turns on so it's mostly alive.

I'd unplug the keyboard:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_13%22

Not sure if it's early or late 2011.

If it is the keyboard it might have to be replaced. Keyboard itself is cheap but Apple and almost everyone else replaces the entire top case.

Jun 3, 2015 2:18 PM in response to paddypage77

Firstly you can bypass the power button by using the logic board startup pads. Be very careful that you have the exact right location and pads because of course if not you can destroy your logic board.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/turn-on-macbook-pro-laptop-without-power-button-lo cating-power-on-pads/

"I cant see power button will I need unplug wireless card?"

Yes to either replace the keyboard or replace the top case.

The iFixIt site is here:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_13%22_Unibody_Late_2011

and everything has to come out of the computer to replace the top case.

" would it be easier if I purchased new top case?"

Yes that's the standard fix but it's expensive. The keyboards/power switches typically cost ~ $30 but it's very difficult to put in. ~ 80 tiny screws.

"is it easy enough to reassemble?"

Look at the iFixIt guide for replacing the top case.

" trackpad is working would that still work if keyboard was disconnected/broke?

Yes it's a different connector to the logic board. See here:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Late+2011+Trackpad+Repl acement/7664

Jun 3, 2015 3:11 PM in response to spudnuty

If I bought below off ebay would this be correct top case for my mac book mines A1278 (Late 2011 i5)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-MacBook-Pro-13-A1278-613-8959-D-Top-Case-Palmres t-UK-Used-/301638213167?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item463b09de2f

Do you think it would be worthwhile replacing DC adapter whilst I'm doing this, although it did charge on laptop before but doesnt always charge. As I have bought new DC magsafe adapater anyway so could do this at same time.

Thanks

Jun 3, 2015 3:57 PM in response to paddypage77

Did you try the logic board startup pads?

Need to know for sure that the keyboard is bad.

The part number for the top case is 661-5871 (US) not sure if that is compatible. You should message the seller to guarantee if that top case is compatible. In any case talking to the seller would give you a clue to what he's like to deal with.

"it would be worthwhile replacing DC adapter whilst I'm doing this, although it did charge on laptop before but doesnt always charge. "

Dirt or smutz in the contacts? You could probably do that since everything is coming out of the computer anyway.

MacBook Pro 2011 wont switch on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.