Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple Airport Extremes - use 1 SSID or 2?

I have 3 Apple Extremes (all latest Gen). One is used as the base station, the other 2 extend the network. The majority of my devices support both 2.4GHz and 5GHz (MacBooks, iPhone 6, iPad 2). My neighborhood is very "busy" with 2.4GHz network traffic. Much fewer use 5GHz.

How should I set up the SSID and what to extend? Right now I have 2 network SSID names, NETWORK and NETWORK 5GHz, as these seems to be the defaults during setup. The two Extremes that extend the network are set up to extend the NETWORK (2.4GHz band). I have 2 options that I am evaluating, after seeing several messages online with different suggestions for optimum performance:

1. Make the 2 Extremes extend the NETWORK 5GHz instead of the 2.4GHz band

2. Extend BOTH networks (Airport Utility asks me if I want to extend BOTH when I try to extend just one band).

3. Change the SSID of BOTH band names to the SAME name, say NETWORK, and let each client device pick the network it thinks is better.

What should I do?

Airport Extreme 802.11ac, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 3:38 PM

The Airport Extreme is a simultaneous dual band router. This means that by default the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz network will have the same name. If you have a SSID named "NETWORK 5GHz" it means that you have setup the 5GHz with a different name. It would be suggested that you deselect this option so that the clients would find the best network suited for it. (Option 3)

1. Open Airport Utility

2. Select the Primary Airport Extreme and click on the "Edit" button

3. Go to the wireless tab and at the bottom select "Wireless Options"

4. Deselect the checkbox beside 5GHz network name.

This will name the 5GHz network the same as the 2.4GHz network name.

For the second and third Airport Extreme it would be suggested that you set them up to extend the network normally.

The 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies both have positives and negatives. 2.4GHz has can reach further ranges and can penetrate solid objects a lot better than the 5Ghz frequency. This is why 2.4GHz is standard with all routers and for that reason this can create interference. The 5GHz is a much better frequency to take advantage of when you are closer to the router. This is why it's better to let your devices choose the network themselves because they will switch to the one that offers the better connection at a given time.

Cheers,

Dekker

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2015 3:38 PM in response to neptune2000

The Airport Extreme is a simultaneous dual band router. This means that by default the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz network will have the same name. If you have a SSID named "NETWORK 5GHz" it means that you have setup the 5GHz with a different name. It would be suggested that you deselect this option so that the clients would find the best network suited for it. (Option 3)

1. Open Airport Utility

2. Select the Primary Airport Extreme and click on the "Edit" button

3. Go to the wireless tab and at the bottom select "Wireless Options"

4. Deselect the checkbox beside 5GHz network name.

This will name the 5GHz network the same as the 2.4GHz network name.

For the second and third Airport Extreme it would be suggested that you set them up to extend the network normally.

The 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies both have positives and negatives. 2.4GHz has can reach further ranges and can penetrate solid objects a lot better than the 5Ghz frequency. This is why 2.4GHz is standard with all routers and for that reason this can create interference. The 5GHz is a much better frequency to take advantage of when you are closer to the router. This is why it's better to let your devices choose the network themselves because they will switch to the one that offers the better connection at a given time.

Cheers,

Dekker

Jun 1, 2015 3:47 PM in response to neptune2000

IMHO there are no hard and fast rules for this.

It is open to discussion which works best..

3. Change the SSID of BOTH band names to the SAME name, say NETWORK, and let each client device pick the network it thinks is better.

The problem here is that devices are all designed to connect to the best signal. Over a longer distance that is almost inevitably 2.4ghz.. even if you have loads of interference.. the apple routers will still choose 2.4ghz as will the clients.

I find by using manual setup I can force the connection of the extend wireless link to 5ghz.. and although the signal is much poorer.. the link is faster and more stable than using 2.4ghz.. In auto mode it will always choose wrongly.

2. Extend BOTH networks (Airport Utility asks me if I want to extend BOTH when I try to extend just one band).

Strange things happen when you start doing these things.. I get very odd stuff.. so you do have to say.. try it.. say extend both bands and see what the result is like.. the more you fiddle though the more strange stuff happens.

Use the wireless diagnostics built into the OS now.

User uploaded file

The main TC5ghz shows the correct 5ghz channel.

But the extend wireless using 5ghz name.. is actually running channel 6. So that is 2.4ghz.. It is all correct when I open the airport utility.

User uploaded file

Bob might like to add a few comments as he is the expert in this area..

But I am happy with the way I have it running.. it works.. I can make it do what I need to do and better than auto function does.. albeit some strange side effects.. seem to be part and parcel of it.

Jun 2, 2015 12:55 AM in response to neptune2000

Moving to a single SSID for both 2.4GHz and 5GHZ did the trick.

I have TWC Ultimate 300Mbit service. I get 310 Mbit when connecting my Macbook Pro Retina directly "wired" to the Apple Extreme that controls AP and DHCP.

The same MacBook connects at 250Mbit when it is located on 1st floor WiFi, close to the AP, and 100-150Mbit when on the second floor connected with WiFi to one of the Extremes that extends the network.

IPhone 6: 200 Mbit (1st floor), 80 Mbit (2nd floor).

iPad mini: 130 Mbit (1st foor), 30 Mbit (2nd floor).

All of above uploaded at 20Mbit, which is the maximum supported by TWC Ultimate, everywhere.

These are the highest speeds I have ever had, and they are consistent, as I run the OOKLA speedtest apps and web app multiple times.

Jun 2, 2015 5:47 AM in response to neptune2000

The same MacBook connects at 250Mbit when it is located on 1st floor WiFi, close to the AP, and 100-150Mbit when on the second floor connected with WiFi to one of the Extremes that extends the network.

This speed loss is expected when you try to extend a network using a wireless connection between AirPorts, since the rule of thumb is that you will lose about half of the connection speed on the network when you extend this way.

If you are interested in maintaining top speeds everywhere on your network, the only way to accomplish that goal is to connect the AirPorts together using wired Ethernet cable connections between them.

Jun 2, 2015 9:29 AM in response to neptune2000

If you are happy, all is well.

If you are in the habit of backing up over wireless, or transferring files from one location to another over the network, it's nice having these backups and file transfers occur at 2-3 times their normal speed over wireless.

I never did find streaming HD content all that reliable over wireless, and fixed the issues completely with Ethernet connections between the AirPorts. It sounds like you may be having better luck than I did with wireless connections.

Jun 2, 2015 9:49 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Yes, I am in really good shape.

I am able to stream perfectly on 3 Apple TVs (one wired to Extreme AP, and the other two wireless on 2 separate floors), 2 Roku units (both wireless), 1 FireTV (wireless), plus all 4 HDTVs (Samsung and Vizio) have wireless connectivity for things like Netflix and TWC App (I dumped all TWC DVRs and set top boxes and just kept one DVR, and replaced the rest with the TWC free app).

I backup 4 Macs (1 Mac Pro and 3 MacBooks) using CrashPlan and since I get 20Mbit everywhere for uploads, even over wireless, I am pretty much in synch every 8 hours or so.

Multiple Airport Extremes - use 1 SSID or 2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.