Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I found a PowerPC 6100 (circa 1995) hard drive (Quantum Fireball) and I want to get the data from it. It has a 50 pin male SCSI connector.

I found a PowerPC 6100 (circa 1995) hard drive (Quantum Fireball) and I want to get the data from it. It has a 50 pin male SCSI connector.

PowerMac, PowerPC 6100

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 2:48 PM

3 replies

Jun 2, 2015 5:56 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hello Jan! Sorry not to have been complete with the info. This is my first time posting a question. Here's more...

I have the Power Mac but it does not boot up. I took out the Quantum drive. It is an internal drive, but it is now separated from the Mac. There will be Word and Excel docs on the drive -- maybe more file types. I do wish to transfer the data to another computer. The Mac OS is unknown. I have an HP laptop now and would like to read the files on that. I'm hopeful I can open the Word docs.

Please let me know if you need more information. And thank you!

Jun 2, 2015 7:50 AM in response to blastfromthepast

Hello,

It is per se possible to find some (relatively expensive) USB-to-SCSI adapters that possibly could be made to work with certain newer computers, but the driver software availability is probably going to be very limited. Also, a special Mac-disk utility would be required on a PC. It is usually much better to try to use an old Macintosh computer with SCSI instead (files could then be transferred to a modern PC or Mac through floppies, via a local network or over the Internet, depending upon model and operating system).

You mentioned that the Power Macintosh 6100 does not boot. Did the computer react at all (startup sound, hard drive activity sounds, display)? A low logic board battery voltage could cause a "no video" situation on a monitor connected to that model.

Jan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.