Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should you try and fix a cracked macbook pro screen yourself as a diy or should you just take it to the apple store and have the apple genius bar employee fix it for you.

My dad is wanting to fix my cracked 2012 MacBook Pro himself but I'm not sure if he is going to mess it up more trying to fix it himself. Would you recommend that I just take it to the Apple Store so the employee looks at how badly damaged it is and see if they can fix it there?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Mid 2012

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 6:45 PM

4 replies

Jun 1, 2015 6:56 PM in response to ricky_nguyen

I'm not sure Apple will sell you the part for a DIY repair.

If you have a non-Retina model, it may be user-fixable if out of warranty AND you can get the new parts. If a Retina, the entire lid unit has to be replaced, a very costly repair.

In the long run, an Apple repair will give peace of mind. At least get a free evaluation at an Apple store before Dear Old Dad tries his magic.

PS: I am also a geeky old Dad and grampa so I understand why your Dad wants to do the work. Don't be too hard on him 😁

Should you try and fix a cracked macbook pro screen yourself as a diy or should you just take it to the apple store and have the apple genius bar employee fix it for you.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.