Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Freeing Photos Storage for "Moments"?

According to Usage->Storage, Photos is taking 1 GB of storage space for "moments". This is the case for both an iPhone and iPad (both on iOS 8.1.2). I'd like to free up the space.

Under iOS iCloud settings, Photos is set to On, but only "iCloud Photo Sharing" is on in the details screen. iCloud Photo Library (Beta) and My Photo Stream are both off. How can I free up the space used for "Moments" on my iOS device(s)? (Note: I'm using Photos on OS X 10.10.4 dev preview).

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), iPhone 5, iPad 2

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 2:45 PM

you would need to delete photos. If your photos go back to something like 2007 or somthing like that delete photos from 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 but keep photos from 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015. Or you could do something else.

4 replies

Jun 1, 2015 4:42 PM in response to Doggie woof fun

Really? I'd very surprised if that were the only way. That would mean having to manually delete hundreds (or thousands?) of photos on two devices. And then what about photos taken in the future? I already delete from camera roll and off-load to Photos Mac.

It would also mean Apple decided it was a good idea to suddenly consume 1 GB of storage on average 32/64 GB devices. That 2-3% may not seem like a lot, but I'll bet a lot of people push the storage beyond comfortable limits already.

Jun 6, 2015 1:31 AM in response to Loren Ryter

This is driving me nuts ATM. Now all the photos under Photos->Collections appear by their thumbnails to be correct according to my iTunes sync settings. That is, only a limited number of pictures in selected albums have thumbnails that are shown on the iOS devices. However, the iOS iCloud Usage info for Photos & Camera (under Manage Storage) shows:

iPhone 5 iPad 2

Photo Library 2.8 GB 1.3 GB

Synced from iTunes 256 MB 114 MB

Shared Photo Stream 15 MB 14 MB

Total 3 GB 1.5 GB

Again, on both devices under iCloud, "iCloud Photo Library (Beta)" and "My Photo Stream" are OFF and "iCloud Photo Sharing" is ON. Both devices running iOS 8.1 [12B411] (which I am suspecting might be part of the problem).

Freeing Photos Storage for "Moments"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.