Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

De-authorize But Give Away Songs

I'm buying a new Mac and selling my Mac to my neighbor. Running iTunes 11. I know I should de-authorize my old Mac, but I'd like my neighbor to have my songs. Any way to do this? Thanks!

Early 2009 Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), G4 Sawtooth; 10.4.11; several upgrades

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 2:46 PM

9 replies

Jun 2, 2015 6:53 AM in response to David Cun

iTunes Store terms state that purchases made by you are for your use only, with temporary multi-user sharing possible through Family Sharing. This is a fundamental difference between iTunes Store purchases and good old CDs where the owner was the owner of the CD. You can't give away or will iTunes Store purchases to another user (one of the reasons I still only buy CDs). I don't know what Pandora's terms are. Most music online has some kind of legalese surrounding it unless it is clearly labeled as free for distribution. Nowadays few services use DRM protection to actually stop you from giving the neighbor your computer loaded with music but technically it is illegal.

Giving a neighbor a ripped copy of the music from CD without giving them the CD isn't legal.

As Niel said, only old iTunes Store music and all movies still use DRM protection requiring authorization to be played. I use an old computer without Apple's new online software downloads so I don't know exactly how the new system works for software. At best your neighbor would find it might not be possible to download updates or re-download any software you purchased under your AppleID. Again, unlike the old days when you could give or sell software to somebody by handing them the CD, now it is tied to your account (don't get me started on how this is going to really put a dent into the used computer market).

Jun 2, 2015 7:16 AM in response to Limnos

Neil..."you should delete all the iTunes Store ones, as well as ones from CDs you don’t give him..."

Hmmm....go thru 5000 songs? Is there a simple way to distinguish those?

It's not like my neighbor is gonna do anything untoward with the music. She is a very "simple" person and just MAYBE listen to some music. But, I guarantee she will not be ripping or recording anything; she barely knows how to use a computer. She had an older Mac Book and complained to me it was slow. I went in and found about 30 dmgs and dupe apps. I won't go into what else. Alas, her grand daughter took all the keys off her Mac Book keyboard. That was about a year ago.

Thanks for the replies!

Jun 2, 2015 7:22 AM in response to David Cun

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4121695?answerId=18968829022#18968829022 - make a smart playlist to show music purchased from iTunes Store

There's no way to distinguish CD rips. iTunes Store files contain information about purchasing from the Store and I believe also the account used to purchase the music.

We can only provide advice on the "right" way to do things.

De-authorize But Give Away Songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.