Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MY COMPUTER MAY HAVE BEEN COMPROMISED BY A SCAMMER POSING AS LETMEIN RESCUE. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

I have a Mac laptop OS X 10.8.5. Today I received an ad on top of my yahoo email list that was not prevented by ad block. I could not delete it, nor unsubscribe from it. I was annoyed by this ad and so went on a Yahoo community site to ask if anyone else received these unwanted "emails." Now from here on in, the unwanted email is irrelevant. I received three replies to my question and in the reply area were two ads that said "Yahoo telephone number." I called the first: 888-858-2728. When a person got on, he sounded like a genuine support person, so at first I was not alarmed and let him get on my computer by remote. Well, he kept telling me to click on this, click on that and we came to a data page where he said showed that some russian hackers got into my computer and will have access to all my personal and financial info. He then tried to sell me computer security program that would run for 40-50 minutes and would cost $168 or some price similar. At that point, I terminated the conversation. Then I recived a message on the same page from "Letmein Rescue" about how my session went. I think I was scammed by a Letmein impersonator. This group now has my computer password. I don't do banking on my computer, but I do have financial info such as my Amex account and retirement account. What should I do? I'm very concerned about my accounts.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 5:56 PM

Change your computer's password:

Forgot Your Account Password

For Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

When the menubar appears select Terminal from the Utilities menu.

Enter resetpassword at the prompt and press RETURN. Follow

instructions in the dialog window that will appear.

Or see:

Reset a Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Password

OS X Mountain Lion- Reset a login password,

OS X Mavericks- Solve password problems,

OS X Lion- Apple ID can be used to reset your user account password.

For Snow Leopard and earlier with installer DVD

Mac OS X 10.6- If you forget your administrator password,

OS X- Changing or resetting an account password (Snow Leopard and earlier).

For Snow Leopard and earlier without installer DVD

How to reset your Mac OS X password without an installer disc | MacYourself

Reset OS X Password Without an OS X CD — Tech News and Analysis

How To Create A New Administrator Account - Hack Mac

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2015 5:56 PM in response to Ellobern

Change your computer's password:

Forgot Your Account Password

For Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

When the menubar appears select Terminal from the Utilities menu.

Enter resetpassword at the prompt and press RETURN. Follow

instructions in the dialog window that will appear.

Or see:

Reset a Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Password

OS X Mountain Lion- Reset a login password,

OS X Mavericks- Solve password problems,

OS X Lion- Apple ID can be used to reset your user account password.

For Snow Leopard and earlier with installer DVD

Mac OS X 10.6- If you forget your administrator password,

OS X- Changing or resetting an account password (Snow Leopard and earlier).

For Snow Leopard and earlier without installer DVD

How to reset your Mac OS X password without an installer disc | MacYourself

Reset OS X Password Without an OS X CD — Tech News and Analysis

How To Create A New Administrator Account - Hack Mac

MY COMPUTER MAY HAVE BEEN COMPROMISED BY A SCAMMER POSING AS LETMEIN RESCUE. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.