Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files unreadable in QuickTime and VLC

I've downloaded torrented video files and watched them on my MacBook Air. After transferring those files to a (rather cheap) flashdrive, they become unreadable in both QuickTime and VLC. Or I'll be able to watch them for awhile, then suddenly I reopen and they become unreadable. How can I fix this?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 4:00 PM

4 replies

Jun 1, 2015 8:10 PM in response to PJ G.

I've downloaded torrented video files and watched them on my MacBook Air. After transferring those files to a (rather cheap) flashdrive, they become unreadable in both QuickTime and VLC. Or I'll be able to watch them for awhile, then suddenly I reopen and they become unreadable. How can I fix this?

Sounds like the flashdrive is unreliable. If so, then they probably can't be "fixed." You may need to purchase a more reliable drive and re-download and/or re-transfer the video content.

User uploaded file

Jun 2, 2015 9:06 AM in response to PJ G.

this seems quite likely. But is there no way to recover the files?

You can always try copying them from the current problem drive to your system and hope that copied files are playable. It will all depend on the specific nature of the original problem. For instance, if the main problem is caused by an inability of the flashdrive to read and transfer the data fast enough for the players to play the video properly but the data can still be read correctly (albeit too slow for playback), then the file copy "handshaking" and error correction routines may still allow you make a "clean" copy of the files. On the other hand, if the main problem is that the flashdrive files are already corrupted or simply can't be read correctly, then it is doubtful you can "recover" them.

User uploaded file

Files unreadable in QuickTime and VLC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.