Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

240fps in Quicktime Player

Hi,

I'm running OSX 10.10.3 and Quicktime Player 10.4. I have shot video with a GoPro 3 Black in 100 fps and in 240 fps; when I play the 100 fps Quicktime shows a frame rate of 100 fps

User uploaded file

but when I play the 240 fps video, it shows 40.93 fps

User uploaded file

The timeline slider in Quicktime does show the 'slow-down' type of slider but playing the video frame by frame is very jerky (more so than the 100 fps video).

Any ideas how I can get the full 240 fps out of the video?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 10:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 8:23 AM

when I play the 240 fps video, it shows 40.93 fps

User uploaded file

The timeline slider in Quicktime does show the 'slow-down' type of slider

Has the "recorded" frame rate actually changed?

If the QT X v10.4 player is displaying, then the recorded frame rate is still in one of the "high speed" modes. The frame rate displayed in the Inspector window is the combined average "playback" rate for the video clip using your "current" secondary slider control settings. For instance...

User uploaded file

The 40.87 fps frame rate depicted above is the total average "playback" frame rate for my sample 720p120 file as it opens by default in the QT X v10.4 player with the middle of the file playing in slow-motion but the beginning and end playing at normal speed.

User uploaded file

However, if I adjust the slider so that the entire file plays back at "normal" speed, then the Inspector window says the combined total average "playback" frame rate is 119.88 (a.k.a.120 or 4x29.97) fps.

User uploaded file

Similarly, if I adjust the slider so that the entire clip plays back in "slow-motion," then the Inspector depicts the total average "playback" frame rate as 29.97 (a.k.a. 30 or 0.25x normal speed) fps.

User uploaded file

On the other hand, no mater what the "sidecar" playback settings may be, if I load any of the above saved files in to a player that does not support slow-mortion playback, then the Inspector displays the total average "recorded" frame rate as seen in QT 7 as opposed to the QT X averaged "playback" frame rate.

If your files actually retain their original recorded frame rates but the frame-to-frame rendering is jerky, then you should probably go into more detail regarding your playback method. For instance, is there any possibility that you somehow reordered the frames, are skipping between key frames, etc?

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2015 8:23 AM in response to skeniver

when I play the 240 fps video, it shows 40.93 fps

User uploaded file

The timeline slider in Quicktime does show the 'slow-down' type of slider

Has the "recorded" frame rate actually changed?

If the QT X v10.4 player is displaying, then the recorded frame rate is still in one of the "high speed" modes. The frame rate displayed in the Inspector window is the combined average "playback" rate for the video clip using your "current" secondary slider control settings. For instance...

User uploaded file

The 40.87 fps frame rate depicted above is the total average "playback" frame rate for my sample 720p120 file as it opens by default in the QT X v10.4 player with the middle of the file playing in slow-motion but the beginning and end playing at normal speed.

User uploaded file

However, if I adjust the slider so that the entire file plays back at "normal" speed, then the Inspector window says the combined total average "playback" frame rate is 119.88 (a.k.a.120 or 4x29.97) fps.

User uploaded file

Similarly, if I adjust the slider so that the entire clip plays back in "slow-motion," then the Inspector depicts the total average "playback" frame rate as 29.97 (a.k.a. 30 or 0.25x normal speed) fps.

User uploaded file

On the other hand, no mater what the "sidecar" playback settings may be, if I load any of the above saved files in to a player that does not support slow-mortion playback, then the Inspector displays the total average "recorded" frame rate as seen in QT 7 as opposed to the QT X averaged "playback" frame rate.

If your files actually retain their original recorded frame rates but the frame-to-frame rendering is jerky, then you should probably go into more detail regarding your playback method. For instance, is there any possibility that you somehow reordered the frames, are skipping between key frames, etc?

User uploaded file

240fps in Quicktime Player

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.