Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting folder doesn't increase available disk space???

Hi folks. I have an OWC Mercury Elite external hard drive with a capacity of 500GB. Finder showed there was only 137 GB available, but I wanted to copy a 139 GB folder on to it, so I deleted a folder that contained more than 130 GB. The problem is that Finder *still* shows there's only 137 GB available on the external drive.

I've used Disk Utility to check the permissions and to run disk repair, but Disk Utility tells me everything checks out OK.

Solutions, anyone?

Regards,

John

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 6:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 7:34 PM

Wild guess -- might space not be freed up til trash emptied?

5 replies

Jun 2, 2015 2:55 AM in response to pushprogress

Thanks e.h. green, I've had this exact same problem before, and deleting the trash had fixed it. It's now my "standard operating procedure" to empty the trash before doing this operation (the problem is happening during a manual back up to an external hard drive). I don't know why I'm having this problem even though I've emptied the trash in this case. Thanks anyway for your reply.

--John

Jun 2, 2015 2:59 AM in response to Klaus1

Thank you Klaus1, but I'm not sure how the page you linked to applies to the problem of space not being freed after a folder is deleted.

Also, I don't know what a Spotlight index is, what it means to "rebuild" it, or why that would fix the problem of space not being freed after a folder is deleted.

Any further explanation you could give would be appreciated.

--John

Deleting folder doesn't increase available disk space???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.