Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad2 cannot get photos from SD card.

I still have this question, which was not solved, in spite of the little green box showing that it was resolved. The SD card works on my PC just fine. I've had no problems with it working on my iPad until a couple of days ago. The iPad shows the import icon but nothing else happens.

iPad 2, iOS 8.2

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 7:09 PM

8 replies

Jun 2, 2015 12:10 AM in response to JudefromMaine

What have your tried ? e.g. have you tried closing the Photos app via the iPad's taskbar : Force an app to close in iOS - Apple Support

And done a soft-reset of the iPad : press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds (ignore the red slider), after which the Apple logo should appear - you won't lose any content, it's the iPad equivalent of a reboot.

And the card is coming straight from the camera ? For photos/videos to be recognised on a card the card needs to have DCIM directory off its root, with the photos/videos underneath that with 8 character filenames (no spaces) plus their file extension.

Jun 2, 2015 9:28 AM in response to King_Penguin

Oh, my friend, I did a soft reset of the iPad. When the Apple logo reappeared, then this came onto my screen (in my preferred landscape mode): Red iTunes logo in circle. To the right of that, the words: iTunes. Then a white arrow pointing to the iTunes logo. Then a connection logo for the iPad, with the cord stretching from the connector to the start button on right. No matter what I try, I can't get off that screen or I get the Apple logo when I try to shut it down.

So, I considered that a cue to go to iTunes by connecting my iPad to my computer. All my apps came up and it took quite a few minutes to do all it had to do. Then I got this on my PC screen: "Your iPad can't be updated; you must restore it to factory settings. If you previously backed up the iPad, click Restore Backup after the restore process completes." I then clicked on the Restore button. Then I got this: Are you sure you want to restore the iPad "iPad" to its factory settings? All of your media and other data will be erased, and the newest version of iPad software will be installed." Below that "iTunes will verify the restore with Apple. After this process is complete, you will have the option to restore your contacts, calendars, text messages and other settings." I then clicked on the Restore and Update button. Then this came on: Your iPad can't be updated; you must restore it to the factory settings. If you previously backed up the iPad, click the Restore Backup after the restore process completes." ARGH...

Should I click on the Restore button?

Jun 2, 2015 9:38 AM in response to JudefromMaine

The iTunes icon and cable means that the iPad's gone into recovery mode - if you haven't already done so you could try another soft-reset and see if it boots up properly, bu you are likely to get the same recovery mode screen. Clicking 'Restore' should let you restore to your last backup - you have a backup on that computer's iTunes ?

When your device is connected, iTunes will open. You'll see a message saying that iTunes has detected an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in recovery mode.

User uploaded file

Use iTunes to restore your device. Restoring in recovery mode will erase your device. If you previously synced with iTunes or iCloud, you might be able to restore from your backup.

(You must have clicked on 'solved' on your own post for it to be marked as such, that can't be undone.)

Jun 2, 2015 2:31 PM in response to King_Penguin

Dear King Penguin,

You have saved me from so much hassle. When I tried your info from your first comment, I ended up with Apple informing me that I could not restore my iPad, as the host could not be found. I went on to try to find out what I needed and was told by Microsoft that I needed to upgrade to Windows 8, blah, blah, blah...

Your next comment worked well. It took hours but I got my iPad back, almost. I had to restore it to my last backup on iTunes, which was in March 2015. My iPad is backed up every night to iCloud, which I pay for every month. Right now, I have just gotten onto my iPad and tried to find out what I have and what I lost. I lost all of my endless number of Kindle for iPad books. Some of them were from before Amazon started telling me that I had already downloaded a book that I was looking at. I don't know if I've lost those books. I literally have pages and pages of books -- hundreds -- of books that I can access from Amazon's Kindle site.

My question for you is if I can access and download a backup from iCloud that will give me back my full, which was current as of this morning, data and purchases back.

Thank you for your help. I was really afloat before, as I save everything on my iPad and PC. Thousands of things. My life!

Jun 2, 2015 11:58 PM in response to JudefromMaine

For the Kindle app you will probably have to redownload from your account in the app yourself (they should show in the Cloud tab in the app), I'm not sure that the restoring to the backup will put them back.

But to try restoring to your iCloud backup and see if it does put them back, you will need to reset the iPad backup to factory defaults (Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content & Settings) so that you can get to the iOS Setup Assistant screens and be able to select and restore to the backup : Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

iPad2 cannot get photos from SD card.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.