Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes spontaneously plays music

I have a problem with iTunes on Yosemite. iTunes will spontaneously start playing music on its own. I have turned off the infrared receiver in the set up. It is very annoying to turn it off only to have it start again later. Apple?

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 8:39 PM

3 replies

Jun 3, 2015 2:40 PM in response to stevenfromgolden valley

Hello Steven,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

As I understand your post, music in iTunes will just spontaneously start playing on your Mac. Does this happen when you use the remote for an Apple TV? I'm not sure what you mean about turning off the IR receiver in the setup, but you can actually disable the IR port on your computer in the Security & Privacy section of your System Preferences.

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Security & Privacy, then click General.

2. Click the lock icon User uploaded file to unlock it, then enter an administrator name and password.

3. Click Advanced.

4. Select “Disable remote control infrared receiver” to turn off IR reception, or deselect it to turn on IR reception.

5. To set your Mac to respond to the commands of a specific remote control, click Pair, then follow the onscreen instructions.

OS X Yosemite: Turn infrared reception on or off

Take care,

Alex H.

iTunes spontaneously plays music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.