Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Monitoring and MIDI

Hello, I recently purchased an Apollo Twin Duo interface. If I turn off software monitoring in Logic pro X, the interface will handle the processing (to record say a guitar). But will I be able to simultaneously record a MIDI controller that is plugged directly into my computer? Basically, does software monitoring handle MIDI data?

If it does affect the data, can I choose individual tracks that are monitored by the interface and Logic?

Please let me know!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 5:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 6:20 PM

When you say MIDI I'm going to take it you mean playing one of Logic's software Instruments using your MIDI controller?

Software instruments generate sound internally within Logic/computer. There's nothing to monitor as far as audio Inputs as MIDI is not sound, only a small amount of data representing the keyboard "performance".

So, yes, with software monitoring off you will be able to record (and hear) a software instrument. The sound should appear in the headphone and monitor outputs of your interface.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2015 6:20 PM in response to Kenobii

When you say MIDI I'm going to take it you mean playing one of Logic's software Instruments using your MIDI controller?

Software instruments generate sound internally within Logic/computer. There's nothing to monitor as far as audio Inputs as MIDI is not sound, only a small amount of data representing the keyboard "performance".

So, yes, with software monitoring off you will be able to record (and hear) a software instrument. The sound should appear in the headphone and monitor outputs of your interface.

Software Monitoring and MIDI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.