Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Brightness Icon Pops Up Unprompted

Hello,

I have a Mac Air that is not even a month old. Today, the screen brightness icon has started popping up as if I was hitting the brightness button on the keyboard, except I'm not. It'll go away, then pop up again several seconds later. I've tried restarting my computer, to no avail. It is driving me insane. I'm trying to work around it keeps getting in the way. Has anyone else had this issue? Why is it happening and how can I fix it? I tried reporting it as a bug but I can't sign in. The username and password fields don't work. Please help!!

User uploaded file

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 5:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2017 8:27 AM

Hi,

Try resetting the NVRAM: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063.

Try booting into Safe Mode: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

4 replies

Nov 14, 2017 1:11 AM in response to KDub14

I have this issue on my 2009 21.5 inch iMac running OS Sierra 10.12.6 that began only yesterday. It seems to be related to the brightness control setting in the system preferences. The slider is not working and will not stay at a bright setting. Both issues started at the same time. The screen icon pops up occasionally and remains for awhile, goes away, comes back. It also does not work for setting the screen brightness. That icon is also activated by the keyboard (usually) but I use a Logitech wireless keyboard and there's no key for activating brightness - only sound.

Screen Brightness Icon Pops Up Unprompted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.