Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Windows warning error" Virus in Safari?

Hi,

A few minutes ago I accidentally typed the word thesaurus wrong into the URL form on safari and was redirected to what was obviously a malicious website. Before the page loaded, a dialogue box showed up (looks like this), so I closed safari and eventually the dialogue box disappeared. I never clicked "OK," so I don't think I ever loaded website, yet "WINDOWS WARNING ERROR" appears in my recent history.

So, is it likely that I caught the virus? I'm going to run a check on my computer anyways but I want to know whether I should shut down all activity for the night or not.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 6:02 PM

It is not a virus, just an annoying popup message. Are you able to surf without popups now?

8 replies

Jun 1, 2015 6:07 PM in response to stedman1

I've only been on a few other websites, but so far, so good. The website I linked to does mention that whatever it is, the repeated pop-ups only appear to interfere with IE, firefox, and chrome, so I am thinking as I use safari that I might be in the clear.

Thanks for your reply! As you can probably tell, I'm not versed in all the terminology, but nevertheless a very paranoid person when these issues do come up.

"Windows warning error" Virus in Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.