Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Detailed explanation of audio units?

Has anyone found and/or made a detailed list and explanation of the audio units in Garageband?

I found the peak limiter is incredibly useful and I'm interested in learning more about how to use the other audio units.

Much obliged compadres,

DR

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 7:04 PM

3 replies

Jun 1, 2015 8:45 PM in response to delandoroberto

The Plugins in GarageBand are actual Logic Plugins. The difference is that you will see only a very simplified user interface with just a few parameters to change.

You could download Apple's free iBook "Logic Pro X Effects" on the iBooks Store that describes the Logic Plugins. You only have to ignore the additional parameters and the user interface and read the explanation for the parameters that are available in GarageBand.

User uploaded file

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/logic-pro-x-effects/id960808317?mt=11

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

Jun 2, 2015 5:34 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

Many thanks Mr. Rothermich.

I picked up your Garageband X book a couple weeks ago which is tremendously helpful, but the AU plugins stuff was the one thing I couldn't find in there! Thanks for the Logic link.

I'm making the transition from Ableton to Apple DAWs as I'm working more with acoustic instruments and other performers. I'm wondering what the benefits of Logic over Garageband are. What are your insights on the differences? Is it worth the $200?

Thanks again,

RS

Jun 2, 2015 7:44 PM in response to delandoroberto

Logic itself is definitely worth the $200. It is extremely cheap if you consider what you get for your money.

If the $200 is worth for you depends on your needs. the code base for GarageBand and Logic Pro X is the same, so the good news is that you feel at home right away. You can even turn off advanced features so it is not too overwhelming at first. It even adds the familiar wood panels.

User uploaded file

The main difference is that most features and workflows have more options, that means most of the restrictions in GarageBand are gone.

Here is a list with just a few additional advanced features that Logic provides

• Mixer Window
  • Full Plugin windows with all parameters and graphical interface
  • Destructive Audio Editing
  • Track Stacks
  • Drum Machine Designer
  • Surround Sound
  • Professional Notion capabilities
  • Over 2,000 Key Commands
  • External Controller capabilities
  • Flex Pitch
  • Advanced Scoring to Picture features
  • Graphical Automation, plus advanced Automation features
  • Global Tracks
  • Screensets
  • Alternatives (multiple Projects in one Project)
  • Import/Export MIDI Files
  • Extended Export/Bounce features
  • The famous "Environment"
  • and much much more ...

If you decide to upgrade, you know where to get the right Logic book(s) to explain all those cool features in an easy to understand, graphically enhanced style 😉

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

Detailed explanation of audio units?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.