Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shortcut Virus?!

Hello there!

Okay this is my second question here in the community regarding Shortcut viruses.

This is a Windows virus where it turns keeps all the files into a shortcut renaming itself as my flash drive's name. This is what I'm experiencing, currently.

So my situation is, I have this Shortcut virus in my Windows 7 Laptop right now, and I inserted my ipod into this computer. I've read and had answers that even if I insert my Ipod, it won't affect it, although it can transfer the virus if I put it into an uninfected PC as I saw in macrumors that the ipod is a big USB flash drive so it keeps in storage there. Also, the shortcut virus usually transfers from PC to flash drives, micro SDs, or anything with a drive, so I could only assume it's in my ipod.

The thing is, I'm planning on getting a new PC and I'm really worried maybe my Ipod will transfer it there.

So I have these questions:

1) If my ipod IS a possible carrier of this virus, how do I get rid of it?

--- I read in 'macrumors' that it's possible for the virus to stay in a specific file, so I deleted all my files (music, PDFs) in my itunes (just in case they were infected), and I plan on resetting my whole ipod, that way I won't risk reconnecting it for it to recognize my deleted files.

2) Will deleting my files in itunes and resetting my ipod be helpful? Will it delete the Windows virus (shortcut virus)?

iPod touch, I use Windows 7 netbook.

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 7:00 PM

3 replies

Jun 2, 2015 10:49 PM in response to lllaass

I see :O

But just to be sure, will it be safe if I reset/Erase All Content and Settings and connect it in an uninfected computer?

And I have another question! I've watched a couple'uh videos online and after the whole "Erase all content and settings" part, suppose it'll ask me to 'connect to itunes'.

I haven't exactly backed-up my ipod, so what'll happen to it? Should I just press 'restore'?

Jun 3, 2015 1:47 AM in response to ohxuwei

If the iPod had iOS 5 or later and you Erase all Content and Settings, you can the setup the iPod via wifi or connect to a computer and restore via iTunes.

You can restore from either an iCloud or iTunes backup

For how to restore:

iTunes: Restoring iOS software

To restore from backup see:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

If you restore from iCloud backup the apps will be automatically downloaded. If you restore from iTunes backup the apps and music have to be in the iTunes library since synced media like apps and music are not included in the backup of the iOS device that iTunes makes.

You can redownload most iTunes purchases by:

Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store

If you do not have a backup then some stuff is lost. If y use the same iCloud ID your Contact, Calendar and other iCloud stuff will be restored.

Shortcut Virus?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.