Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp 4.0 support Windows 10?

So... I am running bootcamp 4.0. I think this is the highest I can go with my Macbook Pro model. I have Windows 7 running on it. If I upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10, will the computer just not work?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 7:31 PM

4 replies

Aug 1, 2015 9:10 AM in response to duway

So, I just upgraded my MacBook Pro to Win10. My Pro is a mid 2009, with Boot Camp 4 that was running Win7 Home. According to Apple's Boot Camp support page, my MacBook is not supported for Boot Camp 5, and Boot Camp 4 does not support any Windows above 7.

I went to the Windows upgrade page and found the Upgrade Tool at (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10). The tool ran a download/install. Almost everything was without a hitch. Programs, keyboard, wifi are all good. Unfortunately, the Boot Camp 4 trackpad drivers do not appear to be compliant with Win10, so no trackpad/mouse. Apparently, some have found these drivers bad since Win8. The same work-around (change USB input driver in the device manager) works for Win10.

All good after that, for my MBP. Good Luck!

Aug 1, 2015 1:29 PM in response to Loner T

The OS-X version does not determine the BootCamp version. I've had BC 4 on my mid-2009 Macbook Pro for a while and OS-X has been upgraded a few times since. It's the hardware revision that determines what version of BC is going to work. In my case 4.0 is the highest I can go.

It's working fine with Windows 8.1 but I'm wondering if I should even attempt upgrading to Windows 10. I don't want to break things.

Aug 1, 2015 1:45 PM in response to ph0enix

ph0enix wrote:

The OS-X version does not determine the BootCamp version. I've had BC 4 on my mid-2009 Macbook Pro for a while and OS-X has been upgraded a few times since. It's the hardware revision that determines what version of BC is going to work. In my case 4.0 is the highest I can go.

The OS X version determines the version of Bootcamp Assistant, the BC drivers are separate and documented at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204048 based on hardware. The major version is the same, but certain drivers will work across different major versions of OS X. Windows can also run older drivers if it is an in-place upgrade of Windows, say W7 to W8.1. If the highest version for a clean install is W7, you can install W7 and then upgrade to W8+ and use WHQL drivers, as long the specific HW drivers are carried forward. W10 is the same way. Most W8.1 versions will work on W10.

ph0enix wrote:

It's working fine with Windows 8.1 but I'm wondering if I should even attempt upgrading to Windows 10. I don't want to break things.

I would not recommend it. Even on more modern hardware, W10 has challenges with GPU, Audio and BT. You should back up and test so you can roll back to a stable Windows version, if you do try W10. W10 will roll back to the prior installed Windows version in case of failures. Driver failures are not always caught very well though.

Bootcamp 4.0 support Windows 10?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.