Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retina iMac overheats, goes to sleep

I have a Late 2014 Retina iMac with a AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB and 24 GB of RAM. When I play World of Warcraft for too long, sometimes the computer starts going to sleep mid-game. I have to wake it up, then it will often do it again.

The only solution seems to be to stop playing and let it cool down. Has anyone else seen or heard of this? I am going to call Apple about it but I wanted some thoughts whether I was the only one, and if there were any solutions aside from a hardware issue.

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 8:18 PM

1 reply

Jun 1, 2015 9:06 PM in response to wowKrash

All-in-one systems never make good gaming machines, because they are packed tighter and have less cooling than tower systems.

1. Make sure that your air intake and exhaust slots are clear and free of dust.

2. Use a fan control utility like > Crystalidea Mac Fan Control or HDD Fan Control to keep it cool.

Note: (that while fan control utilities are not recommended for or by all users here in these forums. I have successfully been using them for years to prolong the life of all my iMac's and Mac Mini's)

Retina iMac overheats, goes to sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.