Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme + Time Capsule: Other Uses?

Hi Folks,

Ok, go gentle here.... I have a 2Tb AirportExtreme + Time Capsule all-in-one. I have Time Machine set up to backup to the Time Capsule; all okay on that front. I also have the Airport Extreme set up as my main WiFi network; all okay on that front as well.

My quesion now, is what do I do with the additional 1.5Tb of "available" physical space on the unit?

Can I use it as an external/mountable hard drive, similar to a SAN/NAS? If so, how?

I'm asking because it seems a bit of a waste if the only function is to act as a Wireless router and a back up device.

Thanks in advance!

RichardUK

Mac mini (Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 1:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 3:31 AM

Just to be clear the Airport Extreme (AE) has no hard disk.. the Time Capsule (TC) is the same case now with the same basic board, but does have a hard disk inside..

They are different and it makes it easier to be clear they are different. No mixing up the names..

TM is designed to store files as they change.. and keep storing them until the disk is full. Even if your hard disk in the Mac is 500GB.. you cannot only use 500GB for the backup.. you need at least 3 times the space actually used.. and more if possible.

You also cannot partition the TC.. it is not designed to work as a NAS.

If you press it into this function.. please be aware of the following..

1. Any files stored only on the TC are at risk .. you must back up the TC.

2. The TC has no built in backup.. it is a backup target for Time Machine .. but Time Machine cannot backup network drives.

3. It is not good to mix TM backups with files.. it is possible to keep them separate.. even though you cannot partition by using a dmg file.. see

Q3 here. http://pondini.org/TM/Time_Capsule.html

4. Do not use applications on the computer with live files on the TC.. it is fine to backup your files.. but running live (currently edited files over network to a TC is a good way to lose them).

5. If you still us iphoto Apple has specific instructions not to keep the library on network drives.. new photo app is still a bit more of a mystery.

Good luck.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2015 3:31 AM in response to RichardUK

Just to be clear the Airport Extreme (AE) has no hard disk.. the Time Capsule (TC) is the same case now with the same basic board, but does have a hard disk inside..

They are different and it makes it easier to be clear they are different. No mixing up the names..

TM is designed to store files as they change.. and keep storing them until the disk is full. Even if your hard disk in the Mac is 500GB.. you cannot only use 500GB for the backup.. you need at least 3 times the space actually used.. and more if possible.

You also cannot partition the TC.. it is not designed to work as a NAS.

If you press it into this function.. please be aware of the following..

1. Any files stored only on the TC are at risk .. you must back up the TC.

2. The TC has no built in backup.. it is a backup target for Time Machine .. but Time Machine cannot backup network drives.

3. It is not good to mix TM backups with files.. it is possible to keep them separate.. even though you cannot partition by using a dmg file.. see

Q3 here. http://pondini.org/TM/Time_Capsule.html

4. Do not use applications on the computer with live files on the TC.. it is fine to backup your files.. but running live (currently edited files over network to a TC is a good way to lose them).

5. If you still us iphoto Apple has specific instructions not to keep the library on network drives.. new photo app is still a bit more of a mystery.

Good luck.

Airport Extreme + Time Capsule: Other Uses?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.