Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 stopped Hdmi to TV after upgrade to iOS 8

i use my iPad to connect to the tv to watch Netflix and other content. i use the Apple adaptor for several years now, no problem. Then recently I upgraded operating system from iOS 7 to the latest iOS 8. Ever since, I have been unable to get a picture to transfer from the iPad to the TV any more. Happened right after the upgrade. My iPad charges while using the adaptor, no problems there. The TV screen is just dark, and usually it is blue if nothing is plugged in. The picture stays on the iPad and previously it would transfer over to the TV.

i Test a different iPad and a iPhone, both transfer via that adaptor to that TV. Both of those worked before and after the latest upgrade.

it appears that the upgrade messed up my iPad. Is there a setting I need to change. I am sure the adaptor and the Hdmi cable work fine, and the adaptor still charges my iPad. And the TV can sense that it is getting a signal through the Hdmi, but just does not produce A picture.

any help is welcomed, thank you.

bill

iPad, iOS 8.3, Hdmi adaptor

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 9:20 PM

4 replies

Jun 3, 2015 2:55 PM in response to Bill buckin

Greetings Bill buckin,

After reviewing your post, it sounds like you were using an adapter to mirror the iPad to a TV. It looks like you have already done some troubleshooting. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

About Apple Digital AV Adapters for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

If you encounter an issue using the Apple Digital AV Adapter or VGA Adapter:

• Disconnect and reconnect the adapter from the iOS device and display.
  • Connect directly to the TV, projector, or external display using a known-good VGA or HDMI cable.
  • Remove any VGA or HDMI extension cables or converters.
  • Note that accessories that convert a VGA or HDMI signal to other video formats (DVI, Composite, Component) are not supported.
  • Ensure that you are using the latest version of iOS. Some Apple Digital AV Adapters require iOS 5.1 or later.

When using an Apple Digital AV Adapter manufactured before early 2012 with iPad (3rd generation), you may see the "This accessory is not supported" alert. Dismissing the alert will allow you to use the adapter.

For optimal performance, you may need to adjust the video resolution or settings for your display. If your display offers an "auto detect" or "factory default" setting, you may be able to use these options to optimize video resolution and display.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care,

Mario

Jun 3, 2015 6:51 PM in response to Bill buckin

i Test a different iPad and a iPhone, both transfer via that adaptor to that TV.

Are you saying these are running 8.x? There was a change in 8.x that prevents the usage of older adapters.

Did it work before? Does it work with a different TV/projector? Did it work with ios 7.x? Are there other A/V input ports? Try all others. Check settings.

Anyway, with the introduction of ios 8.x, apple stopped supporting older a/v cables. You need to get the latest a/v cable with the correct firmware. There is a little chip in the a/v cable. go to the Apple store. Buy a new cable. Verify the cable works in the store.

Here is one reason I heard for the switch in cable requirements: fire! See a picture in this discussion:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6886734

What cable do you need for you ios device?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202044
Go wireless:

https://www.apple.com/appletv/

iPad 2 stopped Hdmi to TV after upgrade to iOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.