Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac Keeps shutting off/ restarting/ won't boot

Hi everyone,

About two weeks ago, my 2011 iMac with Mavericks randomly shut off. I didn't think anything of it- went to restart my computer, and the progress bar appeared, the computer then would randomly shut off and restart anytime that the progress bar reached 1/4 complete. I have a wireless keyboard, and I couldn't get the computer to go into any modes (e.g.s are mode)....bought a USB keyboard off of amazon, and also couldn't get my computer to go into any "modes." Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Christine

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 9:21 PM

3 replies

Jun 2, 2015 12:01 AM in response to CDiana1129

Firstly, do you have full backup of your system, as you may need it?

Have you tried booting into the Recovery HD and running Disk Utility to see if your HD needs any repairs? Disconnect any external devices other than the keyboard and mouse. Restart holding down Command + r, hopefully it'll boot, select Disk Utility and once launched select Macintosh HD on the left and then click on 'repair disk'. If any changes are made click on repair disk again until you get a clean pass. Once complete, restart as normal from the Apple menu and test.

More about Recovery HD here: OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

Jun 2, 2015 6:20 PM in response to Paul_31

I have everything important in dropbox/ etc...while, I would like to keep what i have, if I have to erase, it's not the end of the world. So far, I can only get into Single User Mode (Command + Shift +S)...I run the fsck - yf prompt and it tells me that the hard drive is fine...but when I type "reboot," I still cannot log into my normal home screen...the progress bar gets to about 1/3 and then the computer restarts continuously.

Verbose Mode and Single User Mode appear to be the only two modes that i can get into at this point.

Jun 2, 2015 10:44 PM in response to CDiana1129

Have you tried a simple 'Safe Boot', which can sometimes rectify odd problems? Restart holding down the Shift key until booted. Once booted (hopefully) restart as normal from the Apple menu. Any change? Other than that, I'm afraid I'm stuck for other suggestions. Hopefully someone else on here will spot this thread and have some fresh ideas.

Imac Keeps shutting off/ restarting/ won't boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.