Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

conditional formula returns error due to blank cell

Need condtl formula to add A2 + A3, if A1 is a certain text. tried using .... =SUMIF(A1,"text", A2 A3) but this returns an error if A2 is blank. HELP!

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 9:31 PM

15 replies

Jun 5, 2015 2:52 AM in response to Yago87

Hiroto / Yellowbox - The combination of IF & SUM works well, but still sometimes getting the error depending on the data format of the cell with the dollar amount. If the cell is formatted as currency, then all is well. However, if i want to remove the dollar figure so the cell is blank, I click the space bar to remove the data which causes that cell to revert to automatic format. That's when the error occurs. If I change that cell back to currency, then it works again.

Jun 5, 2015 3:27 AM in response to Yellowbox

Yellowbox -

The combination of IF & SUM works well, but still sometimes getting the error depending on the data format of the cell with the dollar amount. If the cell is formatted as currency, then all is well. However, if i want to remove the dollar figure so the cell is blank, I click the space bar or clear-all to remove the data. That causes that cell to revert to automatic format. That's when the error occurs. If I change that cell format back to currency, then the formula works again. I need to make this user-friendly for others that will be using this sheet.

Is there a type os "ERRORIS" formula that would prevent this from happening?

Jun 5, 2015 6:36 AM in response to Yago87

Hi Yago,

I think what is happening when you click the spacebar is you are adding text- in this case a space and making the cell a text cell. This is why the format goes to automatic. When you clear the cell use the delete key. Tha should preserve your format and Numbers will treat it as a zero value.

quinn

Jun 7, 2015 5:11 AM in response to Yago87

HI Yago,

To answer your question from Jun 5, 2015

Is there a type os "ERRORIS" formula that would prevent this from happening?

And Jun 7, 2015

I'd still however love to make this dummy-proof for other co-workers who will be using my sheet

Yes, you can. Wrap your formula inside the IFERROR function.

However, that will make it difficult to "debug" the errors. Errors will be hidden and your co-workers can then enter wrong data without an error warning.

Regards,

Ian.

Jun 7, 2015 5:27 AM in response to Yago87

Hi Yago,

Repeat from June 2:

Yellowbox wrote on June 2 (Eastern Australian Time):

I can not reproduce the error.

Please post a screen shot of the relevant part of your table.

Please reply with a screen shot of a small part of your screen (command shift 4 and drag). Full screen shots (command shift 3) are often difficult to read.

Wayne Contello has written a User Tip on how to post a screen shot.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6591

Regards,

Ian.

conditional formula returns error due to blank cell

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.