Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add data series to scatter chart

I feel a fool, but cannot figure out how to add an additional data series to my scatter plot. Basically, I want everything in column A numbered "1" to be a single data series (easy enough to do), but want everything in column A numbered "2" as the next data series. Column B is my X-axis data, column C is my Y-axis data.

User uploaded file

I have unticked the "Share X values". If the data is in different tables, numbers automatically creates a new data series. However my data is all in the same table (and over 4000 rows, so I don't want to move the data into separate tables). Any ideas?

Much gratitude. Jes.

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 10:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 12:34 AM

Hi Jes,

The only way I can get this to work is to create another table. But no need to Cut and paste your data. Formulas will do the work.

User uploaded file

In the new table (Data for Scatter Plot) Column A is the same as Original Data. I did copy and paste, but you could use a formula in A2 (and Fill Down)

=Original Data::A2

Series numbers go in pairs across Row 1 (to form X1, Y1, X2, Y2 etc.)

Formula in B2 (and Fill Down)

=IF(Original Data::$A2=B$1,Original Data::$B2,"")

Formulas in C2 (and Fill Down)

=IF(Original Data::$A2=C$1,Original Data::$C2,"")

Now (fingers crossed that I got the $ signs correct in the formulas) you can select B and C and Fill Right

User uploaded file

Turn off Share X values.

Regards,

Ian.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2015 12:34 AM in response to jeshill

Hi Jes,

The only way I can get this to work is to create another table. But no need to Cut and paste your data. Formulas will do the work.

User uploaded file

In the new table (Data for Scatter Plot) Column A is the same as Original Data. I did copy and paste, but you could use a formula in A2 (and Fill Down)

=Original Data::A2

Series numbers go in pairs across Row 1 (to form X1, Y1, X2, Y2 etc.)

Formula in B2 (and Fill Down)

=IF(Original Data::$A2=B$1,Original Data::$B2,"")

Formulas in C2 (and Fill Down)

=IF(Original Data::$A2=C$1,Original Data::$C2,"")

Now (fingers crossed that I got the $ signs correct in the formulas) you can select B and C and Fill Right

User uploaded file

Turn off Share X values.

Regards,

Ian.

Add data series to scatter chart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.